could anyone help me with electrical buzzing??

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frostman

Reaction score
I woke up last week and my psu in my computer was buzzing/crackling. I went downstairs to the back of the lcd to and i can hear the same thing happening? the plugs are both 13amp(sorry dont no much about electrics)

Does this sound like a wire problem? i no recently all the fuses in the fusebox were changed if thats any help?

any info would be great.

All transformers buzz. some more than others. and if the fixing screws work their way loose, they buzz louder
Can also be the laminations of the transformer parting (which cannot be seen) causing the buzzing

is this an indication of of possible failure of the electrical of my pc and tv then?

is this an indication of of possible failure of the electrical of my pc and tv then?
possibly, but any buzzing is normal so doesnt always mean there is a problem. if its loud enough to stop anyone sleeping in the next house, then there may be a problem

I woke up last week and my psu in my computer was buzzing/crackling. I went downstairs to the back of the lcd to and i can hear the same thing happening? the plugs are both 13amp(sorry dont no much about electrics)Does this sound like a wire problem? i no recently all the fuses in the fusebox were changed if thats any help?

any info would be great.
OK, I overlooked this earlier, but the fact you have 2 items suddenly buzzing, indicates (In the Don's opinion):

An issue on the ring main (as a result of the fuse changes) or there is an external issue with the mains quality itself.

Poor quality waveform (sinusoidal) on the mains supply will cause some transformers to go noisy.

The Godfather

OK, I overlooked this earlier, but the fact you have 2 items suddenly buzzing, indicates (In the Don's opinion):An issue on the ring main (as a result of the fuse changes) or there is an external issue with the mains quality itself.

Poor quality waveform (sinusoidal) on the mains supply will cause some transformers to go noisy.

The Godfather
i know the fuses where changed weeks ago, so it is possible the buzzing to occur say 3 weeks after the fuses were changed? would that make sense? I have no idea what to do as i next step myself, i guess an electritian is my best bet.

i know the fuses where changed weeks ago, so it is possible the buzzing to occur say 3 weeks after the fuses were changed? would that make sense? I have no idea what to do as i next step myself, i guess an electritian is my best bet.
Check the fuse supplying the sockets.

There could also be another issue, inside the fusebox or the supply HED.

My view is based upon 2 separate items suddenly going noisy.

The Godfather

Welcome to the forum Frostman, personally I would get back the person who changed the box just to check everything is ok.

batty

and if its nothing to do with what the person has done, expect a bill for it
Well there is that, perhaps Frostman could check his PC or LCD at another installation (work or a friends house).

The Boys

Well there is that, perhaps Frostman could check his laptop at another installation (work or a friends house).The Boys
or another circuit

gpt a call today form someone i done some work for a few weeks saying his oven is tripping MCB when its turned off at the socket. apparantly its my fault because its on a socket i replaced... he eventually agreed to try it in another socket before getting me to come out because he doesnt want to pay a callout if its the oven (which is 9 years old, and the problem didnt started a few weeks after the work)

and if its nothing to do with what the person has done, expect a bill for it
Hang on a minute Andy he said he was going to get an electrician anyway surely it would be better to get the person who changed the fuses back although I assume by changing fuses he may mean plug in ones like wylex. If it was a board change the person who did it is responsible for the work and as you know if they are plug in fuses you still need to issue a certificate as you are changing the tripping current of the device. He may have changed them himself though so there will be no certificate we need more information to make a judgement on what could be wrong.

Batty

definately need more info on what was done, but the fact still stands that he could get a bill if its nothing to do with what the sparky done (although a phone call from him to the sparky for advice would be much better than asking here)

I would check the stuff thats buzzing at a friends house or next door before calling out an electrician.

I would check the stuff thats buzzing at a friends house or next door before calling out an electrician.
You are an Electrician, GH. So why would you call one out? :|

]:)O)Blushing:D

:coat