DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.
  •  

Countdown To Christmas!

Just been to B and Q and.... the staff...

Guest Dane

Were advising people to change there own consumer units as it was NOT a hard job!!!

I could not believe what i was hearing, i wanted to say something but i am not that kind of person.

The "customer" was asking which is best etc, and are there anything special required to change them.

The advisor whilst i was there, advised 2 customers that they are a simple DIY Job, that most people with general knowledge of electric would be able to do!

He also said, to be safe, just cut the security tags on the main fuse and pull it out.

Any cables that require extending can be done so by using conector blocks!

i wish something would just stop people like this headbang

I would write them a letter or inform your part p provider if you are registered and let them sort the idiots out.

Batty

Andy™

you should have said something. and make a complain to the manager about their staff giving advice to illegally remove a service fuse. maybe even inform DNO that they are telling people its OK to remove the fuse!

jl-heating

i would send a letter to the manager with a link to niceic or equivilant and also give a description of the person and time/date of when you went it .

also give them a basic run down of how dangerous this practise is .

Couleddie

Unbelievable but not surprising. This is what we're up against. Seriously, this does need reporting. I'd be on to B&Q's head office because advising people to break the law really isn't acceptable.

I will have to get a letter wrote up...

I wanted to say something, but as i am not the kind of person that is up for confronting a member of staff as they would have probably had me removed form the store haha

All they'll do is state that it's not company policy & that the member of staff was acting independantly & will be disciplined/retrained etc. etc. blah blah blah.

Well from the phone call i just made...

"People are allowed to as they wish with there own electrical equipment"

I am just gob smacked.

I know stuff like this happens, but for a place like B and Q telling people there allowed and it is safe to do so is just unreal!

Could be a case for the banning sales of goods like these to the public. Won't SF only supply gas products to CORGI registered installers?

I for one would have certainly said something, I think its disgraceful that these DIY stores will do anything to get a sale.....

green-hornet
Well from the phone call i just made...

"People are allowed to as they wish with there own electrical equipment"

I am just gob smacked.

I know stuff like this happens, but for a place like B and Q telling people there allowed and it is safe to do so is just unreal!

Funnily enough you could argue that this is totally false.

Whilst it would generally be acepted that you can carry out your own work in your own home, there is a but, and a very big but.

All work has to be carried out to BS7671 2008, one of the requirements of this is to ensure that the electrical installations safety is not compromised by any alteration or addition. This in my opinion could only be verified by testing.

On completetion and before re-energiseing any circuit again testing should be carried out.

I would doubt very much that any DIY'r would have access to a tester, so all work carried out in the home by him would be non compliant with BS7671 2008.

The consumer change is notifiable which would have to be notified before work started, and a full EIC issued on completion.

So I would argue that NO you can not do what you want with your own electrics.

Unless its carried out to BS7671 2008 IN FULL.

Admin
I for one would have certainly said something, I think its disgraceful that these DIY stores will do anything to get a sale.....

And me for two. I would have made sure that I have told the member of staff IN FRONT of the very people that he is advising to do it.

Apache
Won't SF only supply gas products to CORGI registered installers?

No there's a symbol in the catalouge but they will sell them to anyone. We had this before.............

green-hornet
No there's a symbol in the catalouge but they will sell them to anyone. We had this before.............

Yeah its the usual " Lets show them we care"

then sell anyone anything we are here to make money you monkey

Admin

Mrs Admin, Just went to Wilko for some Chocboxes, They have never heard of them (And that was the guy who deals with the electrical side), so off she trundles to B&Q, where the old Chap has never heard of them either. :_|

Couleddie
Mrs Admin, Just went to Wilko for some Chocboxes, They have never heard of them (And that was the guy who deals with the electrical side), so off she trundles to B&Q, where the old Chap has never heard of them either. :_|

They probably think a chocbox is something you put pick n mix in!

Andy™

SF sell them. but knowing their stock levels, i hope you only need 1

what you upto admin :P]:)

Apache

B&Q do sell them. I have bought them from there before.

Have you seen the price of there mcb's they must have a 400% mark up or more.

Batty

Andy™

they also sell marbo crap at higher than MK rates

SPECIAL LOCATION
Were advising people to change there own consumer units as it was NOT a hard job!!!

I could not believe what i was hearing, i wanted to say something but i am not that kind of person.

The "customer" was asking which is best etc, and are there anything special required to change them.

The advisor whilst i was there, advised 2 customers that they are a simple DIY Job, that most people with general knowledge of electric would be able to do!

He also said, to be safe, just cut the security tags on the main fuse and pull it out.

Any cables that require extending can be done so by using conector blocks!

i wish something would just stop people like this headbang

One of B&Q's own leaflets used to say something about Part P notifiable jobs?:|

Apache
One of B&Q's own leaflets used to say something about Part P notifiable jobs?:|

Or like this guide that mentions nowt

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/templates/content_lookup.jsp?content=/content/knowledge/how_to/outdoor_lighting/outdoor_lighting.jsp

Archived