consumer hot tub

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davekate

Reaction score
hi i have a very basic knowledge about electrics but i want to do first fix myself and source the items needed myself ready for a spark to just come and do final fix

should work out cheaper(ebay)lol

basically i live in a house its 5 years old so all wiring up to date with rcd

ect and have built a watertight building at end of garden for a hot tub

the room will consist of a lighting circuit 10 low volt spots an outside light

5 sockets and the hot tub

i want to install a small consumer unit in the room so its seperate from the house

am i right in thinking the new consumer unit can be looped from the unit in the house?

in the new consumer unit what breakers will i need the hot tub is 45amp 240v 50hz

ive done a quick search for this breaker but got confused as different types 3 pole ect havnt a clue about this any one help?

also i think im right but want verification from the new cu i run a 6mm armoured cable to an isolator then to the tub any help would be appreciated

Its against the law for a sparky to sign of any work other that their own. which would include yours. Only possible solution would be to get contact a spark now and get him to price the job possibly including for you to install wiring under his supervision.

and you cannot simply 'loop' a new CU form an old existing

and your lack of knowledge suggests you do not know anywhere near enough to even think about sourcing items yourself. what happens when you get the wrong part and your spark then charges for another visit once you have got the correct part?

Andy - you'd agree OP could save some money digging the trench for the SWA etc

Best if he speaks to a spark or two get a price and agrees what donkey work to be done?

Andy - you'd agree OP could save some money digging the trench for the SWA etc Best if he speaks to a spark or two get a price and agrees what donkey work to be done?
if its to be buried, then yes, he could DIY (even i leave that bit for customer!). but spark will probably want to see cable as its laid. or i sometimes leave it surface with extra spare for the 450mm drop and make a note on cert that customer is to bury at 450mm deep

hi i have a very basic knowledge about electrics but i want to do first fix myself and source the items needed myself ready for a spark to just come and do final fix should work out cheaper(ebay)lol Unless you do it wrong and needs redoing?

basically i live in a house its 5 years old so all wiring up to date with rcd

ect and have built a watertight building at end of garden for a hot tub

the room will consist of a lighting circuit 10 low volt spots an outside light

5 sockets and the hot tub

i want to install a small consumer unit in the room so its seperate from the house

am i right in thinking the new consumer unit can be looped from the unit in the house?

in the new consumer unit what breakers will i need the hot tub is 45amp 240v 50hz

ive done a quick search for this breaker but got confused as different types 3 pole ect havnt a clue about this any one help?

also i think im right but want verification from the new cu i run a 6mm armoured cable to an isolator then to the tub any help would be appreciated
Need more info to answer any questions such as....

Length of run?

Volt drop calcs?

Existing loading on house?

New max demand?

Earth arrangements?

Is correct bonding in place?

When was last inspection or alterations carried out?

What existing certificates are available for details of installation?

:|