Becoming part of a scheme

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sellers

Reaction score
I've been offered a fair bit of work through a builder but he needs me to be certified. So far I've got my 2mil public liability, my tester which is calibrated, got my 2330 c&g nvq3. I'm chosing to go with elecsa, and i need a big and a small job to show apparrantly. What Deffines a big or small job? how long does the whole proccess take, from payment to completion?

with elecsa, i have only ever shown one job, although on both assessments they were full re-wires

id imagine a large job is something like a re-wire or extension. small job bein CU change etc. or they may say small being new socket etc

took about a month between first contact with them to assessment, then another month and half after that before i could notify jobs (because they 'lost' the direct debit form. they claim to never had received one, yet assessment fee was paid by DD!)

Various providers give some guidance on their websites, it is always a good idea to ask them directly as then you have provided them with what THEY require.

As a general rule at least one job should be major, I normally show a full rewire, however I suppose any notifiable work could be classed as major, as I have said its best to ask the provider directly.

The other job could be a simple addition or alteration.

Again the difference between major and ninor could be established with the type of certificate issued, ie EIC or MWC.

A major job should include a CU replacement or addition and at least 1 new circuit (earthing and bonding upgrades as necessary)

A minor job is really just something like an addition or extension to a circuit eg sockets in a conservatory fed from a socket circuit via a fused spur (inc earthing and bonding)

I am with the NIC and have always shown a rewire as my major job; last time they visited my minor job, but didn't ask me to do any tests!

so say i change the CU in my girlfriends house as a major, and use the intermediate I added a couple of weeks ago as my minor? is that along the right lines. Do i have to notify the council before, etc changing the CU? Even though I will be assessed on it. and then qualified to sign it off.

For a major you will need at least 1 new circuit..

Any jobs which need notifying should be notified through your LABC, although you could do like many do and notify them through the scheme once you have passed the assessment... this could be risky if you do not pass the assessment though

Latest posts