Which is best consumer unit?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob will fixit

Reaction score
Hi Forum,

I have an old Wylex fusebox which I have replaced the wire fuses with plugin MCB's. Can I buy plugin RCBO's? The reason I am thinking of this is that a relative just had a new CU fitted. It was split board but a RCD keeps tripping out and now will not reset. The electician who fitted it has'nt answered his phone (it is Sunday!), so I had a peep inside! I was shocked at how fragile it appeared! The charge for supplying and fitting this was

Hello and welcome Bob. Another Welshie I see?

What make CU did your relative have fitted? Do they have certificates issued when it was done?

Cu's are very much a personal choice to most electricians, the cheap ones are just that cheap.

The wylex are a good unit, as are the crabtree and the square D.

You pay more for the wylex and the square D but you get a good unit.

My guess is that for

we fit wylex and nothing else and find them excellent,

the rcd will only trip if there is a problem, did the guy leave a schedule of results to verify the checks he did ?

i am guessing not for that price.. seems very cheap for a board change.

the work is not swopping the board ! the work is testing and checking all the circuits are safe for continued use.thsi can take an hr or all day depending on the property and problems found during investigation.

I would imagine they have been trying to get him for a while not just today.

Well that was my assumption.

If he is ignoring them because he does not like to go back to a job he has done, then thats a different matter.

If its only today then of course not , I would not expect anyone to be reported for not answering a phone

ROTFWL

i would love to see a pic of his work just out of interest . also main bonds and main earth and tails ... i bet ur life they need upgrading still.

I would imagine they have been trying to get him for a while not just today.Well that was my assumption.

If he is ignoring them because he does not like to go back to a job he has done, then thats a different matter.

If its only today then of course not , I would not expect anyone to be reported for not answering a phone

ROTFWL
he said

'The electician who fitted it has'nt answered his phone (it is Sunday!)'

so i was assuming he had only been trying to contact today. if he still doesnt answer his phone tomorrow, then its time to start compmaining

Welcome to the forum Bob. I tend to fit consumer units with only Rcbo's on existing installations but this costs more usually

Hello and welcome Bob. Another Welshie I see?What make CU did your relative have fitted? Do they have certificates issued when it was done?
Hi, Apache, It is a Cudis 18s/63tr 12 way split board. I don't know about the certificates but it was included in a new kitchen fit. Perhaps the kitchen company covered some of the cost. I haven't heard yet if the spark has responded to the call, so I will reserve judgement. It also maybe that I expect too much of equipment these days. It is a long time since I worked on mainly industrial gear.

Thanks anyway for a brilliant forum and for those who responded with excellent advice.

Bob

he said 'The electician who fitted it has'nt answered his phone (it is Sunday!)'

so i was assuming he had only been trying to contact today. if he still doesnt answer his phone tomorrow, then its time to start compmaining
Could always be away on holiday, given the time of year.

That does not have room for Rcbo's does it steve if I where to fit a dual board it would have to have room for Rcbo for cooker circuit so would have to be a high integrety board.Batty
it does take RCBO's. comes with 3x busbars. RCD's can be shifted along