External mains isolator switch to domestic property.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gramsky

Reaction score
Because my property is not occupied most of the time and I only go there about once a week I am concerned that it could, but unlikely, be occupied by squatters.

I have therefore been thinking of ways that I could make things awkward for them without having to enter the house and would at present be able to turn off the water and block gas supplies and am looking at ways of turning of the mains electricity.

To do this I am considering fitting an external lockable isolator switch which would cut power between the mains supply and distribution board.

The suppliers main fuse and my distribution board are mounted in the cupboard under the stairs about 0.75 metre apart on a 9" thick solid external wall.

My intention is to mount the isolation switch on the outside of the wall and divert the tails through the wall to the switch which would be on the wall in a shared driveway and either recessed into the wall with a hinged cover and lock or surface mounted with a lockable enclosure.

The isolator I intend to use is:-

https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-general-cprsd463-4-pole-rotary-isolator-switch-63a/8536r

4-pole rotary isolator switch, 63A rating, IP65, lockable.

I would be please to receive comments and suggestions on this. Thanks

What you are suggesting means removal of the DNO fuse which is something not to be recommended or permissible by the suppliers
Well I have recently had a new distribution board fitted which involved just that.

What you are suggesting means removal of the DNO fuse which is something not to be recommended or permissible by the suppliers
But the DNO will come out and remove it for you, and come back and re-seal, if you ask through the right channels.

My intention is to mount the isolation switch on the outside of the wall and divert the tails through the wall to the switch which would be on the wall in a shared driveway and either recessed into the wall with a hinged cover and lock or surface mounted with a lockable enclosure.
Have you considered actually moving the whole meter outside to a white box? It would probably come with an isolator then...?

OK so the DNO fuse can be sorted, what about the rest of the idea? Thanks
Was typing the answer separately mate 😉

I see nothing wrong with your original idea anyway, if that's the way you want to go 👍

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you considered actually moving the whole meter outside to a white box? It would probably come with an isolator then...?

Was typing the answer separately mate 😉
Moving the meter is a big job involving rerouting incoming cable up shared driveway, lifting and relaying paving costing thousands and I have just recently had new smart meters fitted.

My solution only requires drilling holes through wall for cables, cut recess in wall for switch and fit enclosure and reroute the tails.

Cost a couple of hundred quid at most.

In addition do I need to wire both live and neutral tails into the switch or could I just divert the live and leave the neutral as it is?

I’m not sure why you think a lockable isolator  will deter these people should they squat? 
surely If you visit each week then you can deal with any intruder you find? 

I kinda think that the type of person who chooses to squat in somebody else’s property is not going to worry too much about how they get electricity so will probably leave your locked isolator outside and bypass indoors? 

I have a smart meter fitted, but I do not control it.

I think you are over thinking a problem that doesn't currently exist.

How about better locks?

I kinda think that the type of person who chooses to squat in somebody else’s property is not going to worry too much about how they get electricity so will probably leave your locked isolator outside and bypass indoors? 

hit, nail and head spring to mind

Well I have recently had a new distribution board fitted which involved just that.

So what is the max load of this new CU?    No greater than 63A?

only run off 16mm tails??

Why not just use a 100A isolator?    (with 25mm tails)..

https://www.screwfix.com/p/wylex-100a-dp-isolator-with-enclosure/321fr

(All domestic MCB's RCD's RCBO's Switches are lockable..

with a suitable lockout device

They have to be to allow safe isolation and prevent re-energising a circuit whilst you are still working on it.)

e.g.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/master-lock-universal-mcb-lockout/9592t

:C

Last edited by a moderator: