UK banning sales of halogen bulbs

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So the UK is going to press ahead with banning halogen bulbs - meaning millions of homes may be forced to update their lights .... and the driver for this is the reduction in power consumption

Call me cynical but won't this mean more single use sealed lights being bought and then dumped in land fill?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57407233

So the UK is going to press ahead with banning halogen bulbs - meaning millions of homes may be forced to update their lights .... and the driver for this is the reduction in power consumption

Call me cynical but won't this mean more single use sealed lights being bought and then dumped in land fill?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57407233
According to a Telegraph article non replaceable lamps are to be banned at the same time.

Personally I'll believe it when I see it. Some fittings already use lamp sub-assemblies on pcbs that can be removed; whether spares can be obtained is a different question altogether.

I stopped using the Sealed million year warranty ( as long as it's not switched on, otherwise it drops to 20 minutes) integrated lights when they started failing in a customers lounge at the Rate of 1/ week

suppliers stood the cost of my time in replacing everyone in the house. Also fitted Click inceptor lights to my mates daughters barn conversion.....20+ units in total. Over 6 years ALL have been replaced 

I honestly believe that the unreliability of many led lamps is down to bad design and poor quality manufacture. Most components, including LEDs are inherently  reliable AS LONG AS used within their specification.. I've dissected quite a few failed lamps and usually found capacitors at the limit of their voltage rating operating in an area with poor heat dissipation. Similarly the bridge rectifiers seem to be very small for their intended purpose. Next, the leds are often over-driven to achieve extra light output. They are then sold, cheap as chips, in the knowledge that they will be replaced soon.  It's a marketing policy I think.

If units are properly designed with under-stressed components they will last for years, but there isn't a lot of incentive for manufacturers to do this.

Clearly isn’t any incentive for mfrs to prolong life of their goods apparently? 
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-57406136
it's an excellant piece of work.

Lets be honest, we live in a throw away society and like cheap goods. People need to change their attitudes, and then mfrs will change theirs. Failing that, legislation to make items repairable / longer lived is needed. It also helps if local councils have better facilities to recycle / collect recyclable waste, but there's little chance of that due to budget cuts. 

Sorry but this isn’t legislating this is playing games or as we know ‘appearing to be doing something’

what this suggests is ‘we want to change the lighting that we’re using but not until all current supplies have dried up’ - so it’s not really that important an issue in the grand scheme of things so long as we’re seen to be improving. 

It shouldn't be necessary to legislate anyway. Who is going to install fluorescents now, or buy CFLs?  A bit of maintenance use, maybe, but not new installs.

Look in any large supermarket now, and the fluorescents have gone. The economics of investment and reduced power bills have seen to that.

It's pointless legislating against something which is dying out.

I have sympathy for the hundreds of thousands of home owners who will be forced to change fittings …

if people aren’t fitting LEDs now where possible there is little hope for humanity

that said we can all still go out and buy huge gas guzzling Chelsea tractors for the school run

I have neighbours who stocked up on 150W lamps - god will sort the world out apparently! 

I have sympathy for the hundreds of thousands of home owners who will be forced to change fittings …

if people aren’t fitting LEDs now where possible there is little hope for humanity

that said we can all still go out and buy huge gas guzzling Chelsea tractors for the school run

You can get LED lamps for more or less anything these days, you just have to look hard enough. Even Luke's lightsabre is LED now. 

You can get LED lamps for more or less anything these days, you just have to look hard enough. Even Luke's lightsabre is LED now. 
Struggling to find LED oven lamps, apparently they can't stand the heat so they stay out of the oven😀😀

Last edited by a moderator:
Struggling to find LED oven lamps, apparently they can't stand the heat so they stay out of the oven😀😀

That will be am example of the special purpose lamps still permitted.

When you think about it, its a bit mad looking to replace a 15watt lamp to save power in a 2kW oven!

That will be am example of the special purpose lamps still permitted.

When you think about it, its a bit mad looking to replace a 15watt lamp to save power in a 2kW oven!
or banning 3kw kettles - you can’t change physics so it’ll take the same amount of power to boil a kettle

or banning 3kw kettles - you can’t change physics so it’ll take the same amount of power to boil a kettle

are they banning 3kW kettles? Makes sense with Solar Pv to have lower wattage kettle, and if you are only boiling enough water for what you need, like 1 cup of tea, would you notice the difference?