JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.
  •  

Countdown To Christmas!

summer house

sellers

Question

sellers

Just had a call from a bloke I've been doing some work for. He's a landscaper and has just put a new summer house in someone garden and wants me to wire it. He says theres already a 6mm swa put in to feed it.

I'm just after a bit of info before I go take a look, just to clarify a few things. The 6mm swa should be ok (after considering length, volt drop, etc) to suply 3 twin socket outlets, and a light. It would need RCD protection.

Only problem is, they say they would like a hot tub at a later date. Now i know nothing about hot tubs but i pressume they are a fair few KW's therefore the 6mm is only good for scrap? Whats the average kw rating of a hot tub?

Whats your best advice for feeding the summer house? come off a 40amp mcb to a small cu in the summer house? Or split tails to an isolator then off to a small cu?

Awaiting your expertise

13 answers to this question

sellers

I've been looking into hot tubs and theres a whole market of them at 2kw plug and play. So hopefully he'll be wanting one of this size otherwise his 6mm isnt going to do. I just hope the 6mm is put in to the db, and not left at the back of the house for a spur which obviously wont do.

Next question. Zones. Been looking and if you class it at as a bath, then i can have rcd protected sockets 3m away, if its classed as a pool, then 2m away. But what about the spur to feed the tub? surely the flex isnt going to be 3m long?

matt.leung

put the connection in zone 0. (under the tub)

Andy™
put the connection in zone 0. (under the tub)

zone 0 is inside the bath. under the bath is outside the zones if a key/tools is req'd for access, otherwise zone 1

matt.leung

oh ****... that was a basic error on my part..

sellers

zone 1? I may want to put a masterseal spur in then if thats the case.

cheers :)

'hot tubs are to be considered pools and fall under that relavent section in the regs' thats my scheme providers stand on it.

I just put in a hot tub circuit - 4mm SWA; 16A rating on tub instructions. The one before this required 20A supply (via an isolator). 6mm should be fine unless the punters go for an all singin' model with inbuilt lights, sounds etc - and they usually don't when they see the price!

sellers

edit* I didn't mean isolator i meant breaker.

jl-heating

u should edit ur original post hehe ... then no one would know the mistake . :)

and i make loads so edit is my best friend

Evans Electric

I have only done one outside hot tub , it was a 13 amp supply. In which case your 6mm would be OK.

sellers

ah. but as on old spark once told me when i was a wee lad.

'a man who makes no mistakes, doesnt usually make anything' :P

either that or I didn't spot the edit button Blushing

septiclecky
I just put in a hot tub circuit - 4mm SWA; 16A rating on tub instructions. The one before this required 20A supply (via an isolator). 6mm should be fine unless the punters go for an all singin' model with inbuilt lights, sounds etc - and they usually don't when they see the price!

Depends upon how far the summer house is from the main building and don't for get about the volt drop etc if it has been buried in the ground.

Andy™

or as a thread the other day, the hot tub needed a 45A supply. too many variables on hot tub ratings to suggest a cable now, other than assume 60A and install for that

Archived