Pat testing

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgaw81

Reaction score
What is the going rate of Pat testing, per item. I have been asked to test a golf club and haven't priced such works before. Is it about

I have found that if you drop your pricing to match the fly-by-nights you end up in as much serious in trouble as they do.

I do the occasional PAT testing but I try to get out of it as much as I can simply because I can not compete with the unskilled plug and play testers out there.

Incidently I found an industrial unit where every socket outlet had a PAT label on.

Loverly juberly, the con artists they are.

Funny this should come up....

I happen to speak to a guy doing some PAT today - the job he was on was for a client with 20,000 items to be tested - at 60p each!

I was watching him PAT in an office, using a seward tester (most the kit being tested was Class II) - the tester had a thin wire and probe (no clip) for the Class I tests. He wasn't keeping a register, wasn't recording serials or details, wasn't checking fuses, didn't check polarity on leads. Simply plugged the lead to the tester, hit start and job done - sticker applied!

He didn't even have any failed stickers - only pass!

O.

Funny this should come up....I happen to speak to a guy doing some PAT today - the job he was on was for a client with 20,000 items to be tested - at 60p each!

I was watching him PAT in an office, using a seward tester (most the kit being tested was Class II) - the tester had a thin wire and probe (no clip) for the Class I tests. He wasn't keeping a register, wasn't recording serials or details, wasn't checking fuses, didn't check polarity on leads. Simply plugged the lead to the tester, hit start and job done - sticker applied!

O.
Quality untrained rip off comes to mind.

I would expect there are loads more tested just like this.

It takes me ages when I do it because I have to register, log it, check the plug top and fuse rating, check for wear and tear on cable, test whilst moving cable to see if there is any underlying faults, record the tests on the log book and so on and so on.

Thats why I hate doing them, I have two PAT testers and I keep threatening to throw them out.

Hate hate hate PATesting, but sometimes it unavoidable. I charge

This guy averages 200 - 300 items per day (office environment).

With this client/site he claims he's done 400 each day (12 hour days)

**** me - thats motoring! :eek:

O.

Funny this should come up....I happen to speak to a guy doing some PAT today - the job he was on was for a client with 20,000 items to be tested - at 60p each!

O.
No wonder they are doing it so cheap, whats the point in bothering if thats going on.

I don't think the client are actually bothered about safety, they are doing it to comply with their insurers...and if worst comes to worst, they can show the HSE everything was tested! :(

O.

I don't think the client are actually bothered about safety, they are doing it to comply with their insurers...and if worst comes to worst, they can show the HSE everything was tested! :( O.
'it was alright when it was tested 2 months ago' !!!!!!!

due diligence covered Guiness Drink

I tend to manage 8 per hour, and charge my normal rate.

The funniest thing is always when you fail something (I try to repair as I go) - people want everything to pass, that's why the 60p per item boys get the work. "elf'n safety mate" - health & safety my a*se!