DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.
  •  

Countdown To Christmas!

fitting new bathroom lighting

gailmck

Question

Please help me before I fling myself out of the window , for 6 * hours i have been trying to fit the new one in, here is the situation.

Existing ceiling rose has two red live wires, one black with red tape(used as the loop) one black neutral, and here is where the problem lies- 4 earth wires, in total they have 13 wires through them. I simply cant fit them in to the new fitting.

They are breaking etc etc etc, now light is getting low and i have bare wires sticking out of my ceiling.

And and smart a**** who say leave the real jobs to the men are right, I wish I had never started it lol

At least I can laugh now, earlier I got so frustrated I screamed and my 4 yr old ran out the house crying- awwwww, hence why I need help

24 answers to this question

Zeespark

Not the best solution, but do you have any spare connector blocks handy? if so whack a few earths in each and then join them?

AndyGuiness Drink

I did it!!!!!!!!!!, I put all the wires back in the original rose with cover, chiselled a hole out the plaster in the roof then recessed it then put the original wire(blue\brown) into the new one and hey presto it works.

I am so proud of myself- will it blow up tho eventually?

Am I being clever or just doing something that was basic all along lol?

Andy™

for some decorative lights, its easier to wire the connection in a choc box and push into ceiling void and take a single cable from that to the light

Apache
for some decorative lights, its easier to wire the connection in a choc box and push into ceiling void and take a single cable from that to the light

I changed our kitchen light fitting. Previous fitting was plastic and had no earth. It had just been cut off, so I stripped back in the ceiling void and ran an earth terminal from a terminal strip in a chock box.

Though I was being clever ;)

cheggers
I did it!!!!!!!!!!, I put all the wires back in the original rose with cover, chiselled a hole out the plaster in the roof then recessed it then put the original wire(blue\brown) into the new one and hey presto it works.

the only problem is your new fitting has no earth to it

It turns out I wasnt so clever after all- I took out the bits in the ceiling that the new lights needed to grip to, am trying silicone at the moment.

And whats the bets I will try to do something I have no knowledge of in the future???

Definitely !

green-hornet

Your our kind of girl, unafraid to ask for help, and unafraid to have a go.ROTFWL

I always remember wiring a control panel with what must have been around 200 cables coming in, the plasterer who saw me working on it just thought I was some kind of magician, to me it was another day at work.

It only gets complicated if you let it, everything can be sorted if you think logicaly and take it step by step.

Well done on fixing it.

Now make sure its earthed B-)

so do i have to go in my loft and find a terminal thingy to run a new wire from?

All of my electricity things are downstairs in a box with lots of trip switches, where would access a terminal to earth it?

SPECIAL LOCATION
so do i have to go in my loft and find a terminal thingy to run a new wire from?

All of my electricity things are downstairs in a box with lots of trip switches, where would access a terminal to earth it?

Most fancy decorative light fittings have terminal blocks that are only big enough for a single conductor to be terminated successfully and securely.

99.9% of the time you need to box/join/connect the existing supply/loop/switch cables into an appropriate termination then just bring a single three core cable into the light fitting itself.

there are many types of suitable terminations..

choc boxes,

Wago (or similar brands)

traditional round J/box

etc..

etc..

if you don't know what any of these are...

just say...

sorry guys/gals I am not sure what you are talking about..

and someone (my bet is on Apache) will give you a very good link!

;):D:)

most important....

DON'T HAVE ANY LOOSE CONNECTIONS!!!!

AND KEEP YOUR EARTHS CONNECTED!

loose joints cause nasty overheating and melting problems!:(:_|

HTH.

Apache
9mins to get that lot together?!:|X(

were you sleeping m8!?]:):pROTFWLROTFWLROTFWLROTFWL

haha

I do have other things on! :P

SPECIAL LOCATION
haha

I do have other things on! :P

Thong & suspenders?Blushing:p:O:^O:^O:^O:^O:^O

Apache
Thong & suspenders?Blushing:p:O:^O:^O:^O:^O:^O

Sandra lent me them. They aren't especially comfortable. This thong is really distracting.............

:D

the ceiling rose was earthed, can i run a wire from that to the new fitting to earth that too? or should it not be earthed from the previous fitting?

Also basic question- I know all wires have different colours but are they all the same wires just colour coded so that everyone knows where they go?

sorry I am trying to be a decorator, joiner, gardener, tiler, electrician all at once in our new place- but I will bloody do it!! Might be old and wrinkly by then but what the hay :)

Zeespark

Gail use the earth cable for the new fitting that was connected to your ceiling rose.

AndyGuiness Drink

Apache
the ceiling rose was earthed, can i run a wire from that to the new fitting to earth that too? or should it not be earthed from the previous fitting?

So long as it has an earth it doesn't matter where from!

Also basic question- I know all wires have different colours but are they all the same wires just colour coded so that everyone knows where they go?

The only reason wires are colour coded is so you know which conductor you are dealing with each end of the cable! There are conventions but they are not always followed and to be safe assume they are wrong! Often you can work out where they go. Sometimes electricians change 1 colour for another using coloured sleeving or tags of insulating tape (eg a switched live).

sorry I am trying to be a decorator, joiner, gardener, tiler, electrician all at once in our new place- but I will bloody do it!! Might be old and wrinkly by then but what the hay :)

The ground is too wet to make hay................

:coat

that was the initial problem andy, there were 4 earth cables with a total of 13 wires coming out of them- which one do i choose?

Zeespark

connector blook them all if you can, then use a new piece of earth cable to join the new fitting to the connector block at worst.

Andy

SPECIAL LOCATION

COLOURS:-

Colour coding for cables changed a few years ago...

but the should be:-

OLD

Red = Live

Black = Neutral

Black with Red tape or sleeve = Switched live.

Green/Yellow = Earth.

NEW

Brown = Live

Blue = Neutral

Blue with Brown tape or sleeve = Switched live

Green/Yellow = Earth

BUT!!!!

some times some naughty DIY people don't use the proper colours!!!:_|:_|:_|

so you would need a test meter to verify which is live & neutral etc....

EARTHS:-

If the light fitting says..

"CLASS 2"

"CLASS II"

"Double Insulated"

or has a double concentric square symbol..

it doesn't actually need an earth connection!?

otherwise it does!:|

Apache

Some class2/II DI fittings do give you a place to terminate the earth even tho it doesn't strictly earth the fitting!

Thanks everyone

I thought I was going to self combust earlier but all is good now- you have all been a great help and seem like a good bunch of guys, thanks- there is no worse feeling than not knowing your arse from your elbow , fingers crossed I will get it earthed tomorrow- just need to steal a bit of wire from something ]:)

SPECIAL LOCATION
Some class2/II DI fittings do give you a place to terminate the earth even tho it doesn't strictly earth the fitting!

Very true Patch...

I was just trying to point out, assuming all loop cables are continue through in a choc box or similar...

if the fitting is class2/II its not life or death if the earth wire is forgoten...

(personally I wouldn't...

and IMHO its not good practice but not a major safety issue if a class 2 item don't have an earth wire going to it.)

:)

SPECIAL LOCATION
Thanks everyone

I thought I was going to self combust earlier but all is good now- you have all been a great help and seem like a good bunch of guys, thanks- there is no worse feeling than not knowing your arse from your elbow , fingers crossed I will get it earthed tomorrow- just need to steal a bit of wire from something ]:)

1. They are a good bunch of guys. (& gals!Blushing)

But the Guinea pig can go off the rails a bit!!!!:pGuiness DrinkROTFWL

2. Arse & Elbow only becomes a problem when going to the doctors to look at your problem with "Tennis Elbow"!!!:o:p;\

Archived