Oh, why not ask some testing questions too!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul b b

Reaction score
Ok Men, some testing questions now!

1. can you do an IR on say, the lignting circuit with out sending 500v down the sockets circuit?

2. can you do a R1+R2 (safely)with out turning the whole house off?

3. can a Zs be carried out with things plugged in or with out removing light bulbs?

4 ummm i'll come back to this one

thanks

1: yes. disconnect cables form DB and test

2: yes. isolate circuit, disconnect cables from DB and test

3: Zs can be done with stuff connected

4: dont know answer to that one?

Ok Men, some testing questions now!1. can you do an IR on say, the lignting circuit with out sending 500v down the sockets circuit?

2. can you do a R1+R2 (safely)with out turning the whole house off?

3. can a Zs be carried out with things plugged in or with out removing light bulbs?

4 ummm i'll come back to this one

thanks
1. disconnect that particular circuit @ CU / Dist Board then stick your meter leads on the ends of cable you have just disconnected.

2. switch off the one circuit you are working on...

if there is enough length just connect the live cable onto the earth bar...

go to furthest point of circuit & do R1+R2.

3. any plugged in equipment will have no relevance to obtained readings of Zs...

unless they have a neutral -earth fault on them!!!!

4. "Kevin Costner in Robin Hood Prince of Thieves". is the answer you are looking for maybe???:OROTFWLROTFWLROTFWL

Regarding #2, if I am inspecting and testing a split board and want to cause minimum disruption to the occupants then I will shut down one half of the board, then do my r1+r2 on all the circuits on that side before proceeding to the other half.

The problem with doing r1+r2 with all the other circuits on is that there are risks to consider, most of all that your concentration will falter and you will get a belt, also that you may connect your earth link to the wrong circuit which might be live or for example you might be testing a ring circuit which (incorrectly) has the two live ring legs in different circuit breakers and thus you will get a surprise (ie, a loud bang and blue flash) when you connect the earth from the earth bar !.

Just a few thoughts !

Best Regards

Tim

[quote name=

you might be testing a ring circuit which (incorrectly) has the two live ring legs in different circuit breakers and thus you will get a surprise (ie, a loud bang and blue flash) when you connect the earth from the earth bar !.

Just a few thoughts !

Best Regards

Tim

thanks Tim, and no doubt the customer is stood over your sholder at this point!