Terminology

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdc8843

Reaction score
Hi guys, can you tell me what term is acceptable when describing a cct live conductor. Some books use phase and some use line. Which one should be used or doesn't it matter?

Many thanks

Its line now, remember from my 17th update course 6 months ago, same with 3 phase, they are lines I think

Yes it is now Line.......Live is still used in the 17th Edition but it now denotes a common term for EITHER a Line or a Neutral conductor....Good in it ? :D

a1spark

So is a 3 phase induction motor now called a 3 line induction motor?

Ahhhhh which government body up with this?

Cheers Steve

Next we will be calling earth............ ground....lol ROTFWL

3-phase is still called 3-phase. They are referred to as different phases. However individually these are now Line conductors (formerly Phase conductors).

It melts my head too.

As has been said, live conductors includes both Line and Neutral conductors. This was also the case in the 16th Edition - live conductors incorporated both what were then Phase and Neutral conductors.

what about 'Soil'?
Yep that could work.......'just checkin to see if I have a good soil'.... :D

Last edited by a moderator:
They seem intent on confusing everyone , I'm still struggling with the blue neutral TBH have to keep telling myself its not a phase or line or live. Not forgetting the smart ass who came up with the latin "Terra" for earth as in the TNCS, TT etc and pretending our voltage is 230v. Light fittings became luminairs suddenly. And now if you use a 3core cable,SWA or PVC 3c/E for single phase/line only the brown is the correct colour .

But the Neutral is a live conductor despite not being Line or Phase! :)
In new terminology speak ,yes, but in my ,now gnarled and rusty old brain, lives are the ones that give you a shock, they may be red,yellow,blue, brown,black or grey.

Neutrals are returns, no shock unless you disconnect 'em, although I agree they are carrying current, may be black or blue which are also "live" colours, sometimes, but it wasn't me who changed a perfectly good system.

In new terminology speak ,yes, but in my ,now gnarled and rusty old brain, lives are the ones that give you a shock, they may be red,yellow,blue, brown,black or grey.Neutrals are returns, no shock unless you disconnect 'em, although I agree they are carrying current, may be black or blue which are also "live" colours, sometimes, but it wasn't me who changed a perfectly good system.
just goes to show the logic of the people who make the decisions

if it aint broken, fix it. or change the colours

if its broken (like part p), leave it, as long as your making money from it