Cu change after cu change

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meady

Reaction score
I don't know if it's just me or the area I live in but I would say at least 70% of my work at the moment is consumer unit upgrades. Out of curiosty how much would u chaps charge for a straight foward consumer unit change? Lets say it's an old fuse board with 6 cicuits, the earthing and bonding needs upgrading but all positioned in the same area. What roughly would be a good price for the upgrade and a rough price for the testing?

you should be looking at 300 min thats if there is no faults on any circuits lighting has an earth etc. when quoting for a board change i always insulation test couple of circuits so i know whats in store for me and looking inside consumer should tell you if any diy er has been in.

remember any faults would be extra.

GoIng by what price website I am seriously undercharging but if I charged what some of them are perhaps I wouldent get half as many jobs as I am. What's the best of two evils!

That's a good point about carrying out a couple of tests before, got involved in one job where there was no cpc in the lighting circuit and a few that I had changed had low ie readings.

Just a thought but if people answered seperately for materials and labour? That way if you fit an expensive CU with RCBO's vs a fully loaded 'el cheapo' we can compare like for like?

There could be

If on completion of a cu change and tests a couple of faults were found, what would happen if the customer refused to pay extra for the work to correct the faults? As an electrician we have got to leave the property in a safe state. It's one of those questions I put to people and always get conflicting answers.

Good point about materials.....there could be a massive difference in price from a cheap cu to a top of the range all singing all dancing one.

If on completion of a cu change and tests a couple of faults were found, what would happen if the customer refused to pay extra for the work to correct the faults? As an electrician we have got to leave the property in a safe state. It's one of those questions I put to people and always get conflicting answers.
It's difficult. This thread recomends doing a 'global N-E ins test' to ensure the RCD will stay on! If the RCD remains on and clinet won't pay for remedial works thn note that on the certificate.

The problem would come if you did no testing and when you fitted the new board the RCD won't stay on! Bit of testing first? Customer not going to be keen to pay your bill if they have no electricity!

There are many threads on this, also on problems (esp cookers) that trip RCD's. The jist seems to benote the deviation on the cert and spell out on your initial estimate/quote that faults found will be extra!

GoIng by what price website I am seriously undercharging but if I charged what some of them are perhaps I wouldent get half as many jobs as I am. What's the best of two evils!That's a good point about carrying out a couple of tests before, got involved in one job where there was no cpc in the lighting circuit and a few that I had changed had low ie readings.
Be very carefull of these type of sites, as they often are never varified.

I could put