Connection blocks / terminals

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dom2464

Reaction score
I am just about to change a old 3036 type CU for a new 17th Edition CU but the problem is that in the limited space I have to put the new CU I will have to lengthen some of the wires to reach the new CU and was wondering what are the best connection blocks / terminals to use to do this?

Some like crimps (how much room have you got?)

Some use terminal blocks

Some use push connectors eg Wago, but Andyc linked to some nice cheap ones here

Another vote for the Wago's (just make sure you use ones rated high enough for the circuit as the standard push ones are rated at 24A and the leaver ones are 32A).

Ian.

100% fine unless you need more than 32A as Ian says :D
Thanks again for the replies and sorry to be a PITA but would these not be better due to the fact that the enclosure has a 2 screws to gain entry and at least it would give me a bit moer piece of mind due to being more tamper proof and not as easy to disconect the wires from.

http://www.ryness.co.uk/ProductDetails.aspx?CategoryID=669&Category4ID=1&ProductID=3231

And once again would these pass a NICEIC inspection? Blushing

I have used those for shower circuit extensions on cu replacements but the wago ones will sit nicely inside the cu (assuming you haven't got a ultra small one ;) ) so no need for screws to remove it.

If you do not have enough cable to get it inside the cu then maybe look at a wagobox (box specially designed for wago's). They even do conectors to allow the connectors to be mounted on din rails.

Never had an NICEIC inspection but can't see why they would not like them.

Ian.

Some like crimps (how much room have you got?)Some use terminal blocks

Some use push connectors eg Wago, but Andyc linked to some nice cheap ones here
I always use the red, blue and yellow through crimps when I replace a consumer unit as I think the job looks really professional. When I have to extend a cable bigger than 6mm then I do look for other options. Personally I have never been keen on connector blocks and tape.

I always use the red, blue and yellow through crimps when I replace a consumer unit as I think the job looks really professional. When I have to extend a cable bigger than 6mm then I do look for other options. Personally I have never been keen on connector blocks and tape.
Do you heatshrink over the crimps?

Have you seen the crimps with the heatshrink built in?

Do you heatshrink over the crimps?Have you seen the crimps with the heatshrink built in?
No and no but that sounds like a good idea for additional insulation. What provides the heat ? -- not a blowlamp I hope :^O

If you do not have enough cable to get it inside the cu then maybe look at a wagobox (box specially designed for wago's). They even do conectors to allow the connectors to be mounted on din rails.
Just had a look at them and they look like the ones I need thanks, I should have been a bit clearer in my original post that I will not have enough cable to get into the new CU as it will probably need moving about 10 - 12 inches away due to space restrictions.

if you have a few to do, could you not use a adaptable box with din rail and din rail terminals?

if you have a few to do, could you not use a adaptable box with din rail and din rail terminals?
for that sort of thing, din rail and klippons win everytime for me. or the wagos that go on din rail, but i havnt seen or used them...

Would these be ok to be used when the NICEIC inspector comes out to see my work, would they be happy that I have used this method?
If your NICEIC inspector is anything like ours you could just twist and tape your connections as he won't be interested in your practical work, just whats written on your certificates!!!

We always crimp but I'm thinking of getting some WAGOs after some of the threads Ive read on here.

I guess you don't use the earth klippons thenPray.. They'd right screw with you r2 ring readings:^O
i do but only on big jobs for someone else, by the time testing comes im doing something else but nothing has ever needed to be altered.

are they bad then?