SWA into CU

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sellers

Reaction score
Whats the best way to gland an swa into someones CU? Am i best glanding into an adaptable box and trying to bush it into the cu? You know how brittle some of them are I dont fancy glanding it straight in.

I wouldn't even try M8, Make gland into adapt.box, then if possible, fix the box butted against the C/U ,pass the tails through a grommet and earth lug onto the banjo.

If the cable coes outside put an isolator instead.

Cu's plastic and already existing, its a feed to a summer house, does it have to go through an isolator then or is the mcb ok with an adaptable box.

Is a DP isolator required for the hot tub circuit. Which will be a 10mm swa, from a 40amp rcd protected breaker from the house cu. With a 40a rotary isolator outside.

My local isolator for the hot tub would be the 40a rotary one, the protection for the swa is at the cu 40amp mcb. So why would they're be a need for an isolator at the cu? I am going to put one in as I might aswell terminate my swa into it, but just curious as to why, or is it just down to good practice.

You would have to check the Regs on this but I was brought up with it. So if I did a garage/shed supply in SWA it would have an isolator by the board or where it left the house. Just looking at the hot tub in the same way.

Deke

but the MCB will be point of isolation for SWA. this is no different to your standard lighting circuit, just your wiring in SWA instead of T&E, and hot tub instead of light

The point I,m making is that it leaves the building for whatever reason so it needs to be isolated , without pratting about at the fuseboard. MCB isn't double pole for one reason , but I'm probably talking through my posterior, I don't do a huge amount of house bashing, so just use the MCB then.

i dont recall any requirement to have an isolator other than the MCB

and in commercial, do you add an isolator between MCB and SWA if taking it outside?

Good morning everyone, just like to ask a question about this topic. During a recent 2391 course the subject of out buildings came up and the question of exported earths was discussed at length, the opinion of the trainer was that in some instances the outbuilding should become TT. Does this make sense or posterior talking?

Kind regards to all, have a nice weekend

David

Good morning everyone, just like to ask a question about this topic. During a recent 2391 course the subject of out buildings came up and the question of exported earths was discussed at length, the opinion of the trainer was that in some instances the outbuilding should become TT. Does this make sense or posterior talking? Kind regards to all, have a nice weekend

David
PME should not be exported. TNS & TT can, although in many cases, its best to TT the outbuilding. this has been discussed in detail many times before. a quick search (if patch doesnt beat you to it) will get you lots more info

i dont recall any requirement to have an isolator other than the MCBand in commercial, do you add an isolator between MCB and SWA if taking it outside?
Well yes I would, with label , such as , Scrap Paper Compressor, etc perhaps its just me making my own regs up.

Good morning everyone, just like to ask a question about this topic. During a recent 2391 course the subject of out buildings came up and the question of exported earths was discussed at length, the opinion of the trainer was that in some instances the outbuilding should become TT. Does this make sense or posterior talking? Kind regards to all, have a nice weekend

David
Thought it was just me who could " Posterior Talk" Bit muffled when sitting down so always best to stand at the computer. :eek: :p:D

Well yes I would, with label , such as , Scrap Paper Compressor, etc perhaps its just me making my own regs up.
id have an isolator at end of SWA to isolate equipment, but thats it. but if your getting paid for it, then install it