max demand

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul b b

Reaction score
hi chaps.

can you just check my workings out please.

2 x rings

1x 9.5kw shower

1x cooker

1x combi boiler

11 lights

2x smoke detectors

thanks

paul

also is the form after diversity?

If your answer is over 100A you've done it wrong!

Realistically what will be plugged in and used? What's a real expected load?

My house is about 85A Paul. 85A is the expected load after diversity and that is what you fill in on the elecsa form.

Paul don't take this the wrong way but I think you need to buy a book on electrical installation , no offence intended , just trying to help.
thanks evans!!!

i have a book just getting stressed out about filling in this form as its for the assesser

Ah stressful time for all of us M8.

Rough guide to maximum demand is add the value of all the MCB,s and multiply by 0.43

I think thats the figure, Green Hornet will confirm, I filched it from him.

there is no hard and fast rule to it, its your decision, so if you record a sensible figure i dont think anyone can call you wrong.

Ah stressful time for all of us M8.Rough guide to maximum demand is add the value of all the MCB,s and multiply by 0.43

ahhh thats intresting, a much quicker way of working out.

thanks.

Is the diversity 100% of largest socket + 40% of remainder? that rings a bell for some reason

Ah stressful time for all of us M8.Rough guide to maximum demand is add the value of all the MCB,s and multiply by 0.43

But it has been said this doesn't really work so well any more. The reason being we split the house into more circuits for convenience and to minimise nusance tripping. Eg old house may have Up ring, Down ring, 1 lighting circuit, cooker, shower, immersion heater. Rewire same house we have up ring, down ring, kitchen radial, utility radial, up lights, down lights, outside lights, smoke alarms, shower, immersion, cooker. So we shoot up from 6 circuits to 11.

Using Deke's magic number

Initially 30,30,5,30,30,15 = 140A * .43 = 60.2A

Now 32,32,16,16,6,6,6,6,32,16,32 = 216A * 92.88A

realistically we havn't started using an extra 33A!

Do you see what I mean?

But it has been said this doesn't really work so well any more. The reason being we split the house into more circuits for convenience and to minimise nusance tripping. Eg old house may have Up ring, Down ring, 1 lighting circuit, cooker, shower, immersion heater. Rewire same house we have up ring, down ring, kitchen radial, utility radial, up lights, down lights, outside lights, smoke alarms, shower, immersion, cooker. So we shoot up from 6 circuits to 11. Using Deke's magic number

Do you see what I mean?
yeah.

awwww these bloody forms GURRRRRR!!!

But it has been said this doesn't really work so well any more. The reason being we split the house into more circuits for convenience and to minimise nusance tripping. Eg old house may have Up ring, Down ring, 1 lighting circuit, cooker, shower, immersion heater. Rewire same house we have up ring, down ring, kitchen radial, utility radial, up lights, down lights, outside lights, smoke alarms, shower, immersion, cooker. So we shoot up from 6 circuits to 11. Using Deke's magic number

Do you see what I mean?
Good point Patch, I blame the Hornet for this ,he,s flogged us a damp squib.

Go back to guessing it then !! :| :coat

hi chaps.can you just check my workings out please.

2 x rings

1x 9.5kw shower

1x cooker

1x combi boiler

11 lights

2x smoke detectors

thanks

paul

also is the form after diversity?
We could check your workings out...................

If you had given us some workings out to check?? ?:| :(

Appliance ratings?

No of light fittings wattages etc..?

i.e. 10 x low energy 7watt bulbs....

has less MAX DEMAND than 10 x 100watt bog standard bulbs?

How many people live in the property?

how many appliances will realistically by simultaneously switched on?

I could wire a house with 20 radial circuits @ 15amp each..

or put them all onto one rings @ 32amp.

The NUMBER OF CIRCUITS does NOT determine the max demand.

The number of persons using the appliances and equipment over a sustained simultaneous period DOES affect the max demand...

e.g.

consider a cooker taking 8000watt.. (approx 35 amps)

and a shower taking 9500watts.. (approx 41amps)

IF they are never switched on together the max demand will never exceed 41amps....

IF they are both on together for a sustained period of time the max demand could be 70amps +

(ignoring diversity with the cooker for the above example)

If the home only has ONE person living in it.... unlikely to both be on together...

If the home has a family of FIVE... greater probability of simultaneous usage!

If you read the BS7671 guidance about Max Demand it states quite clearly it is the INSTALLATION DESIGNER who will best be able to asses the realistic max loadings per circuits and any appropriate diversity factors to be applied!

THE IS NO STRICT RULE TO DEFINE MAX DEMAND AND DIVERSITY THAT CAN BE UNIVERSALLY APPLIED TO EVERY INSTALLATION! ;) :|

Do you see what I mean?
The vet-cow-man thingy has been taking on board his learning very well.....

he speaks the wise words as spake previously on this ere forumbulator!

Guiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink:D:xApplaud Smiley