Pricing

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sellers

Reaction score
Got a job putting in power to a summer house, shed and hot tub.

Theres already a 6mm run in ready fro the summer house. The customer is suplying a 10mm from house db to the hot tub as they don't know what size hot tub they want yet. (but they want a big'n). I wont be digging out the trenches, just getting the cable into the house and connected and same with summer house.

So this job is to fit 4way db in summer house. Install 4 double sockets in there. A lattern light (they supply) with overide on the outside of the summer house. 2 lampposts (they supply) on decking on a weatherproof switch. From 4 way db, swa into shed next to summer house, 1 double socket, 1 bulkhead light spured off. Install weatherproof isolator for hottub which is going outside on the decking and obviously the work inside the house at the CU.

I'm supplying everything except the lights and the 2 supply cables, so all pvc conduit, outgoing swa, db etc

I've priced up all my gear out of the SF catalogue and it comes to 246quid.

I'm allowing 3days on the safe side at 150 per day so 450.

that totals 696. Does this sound about right? Do i need to add an percentage on to gear, or final cost to make sure? I know i may save some by getting the gear from the wholesalers, but SF is all i have to hand at the moment for prices.

cheers

Tom

Sorry I should have stated my position at the moment, I'm after as much custom as possible. I'm trying to make the push to go self employed so i need as many customers as possible (got quite a few so far). So i need my price to be on the cheaper side, but I don't want to be ripping myself off as I've got more and more things to pay out for, for when i go it alone.

Sorry I should have stated my position at the moment, I'm after as much custom as possible. I'm trying to make the push to go self employed so i need as many customers as possible (got quite a few so far). So i need my price to be on the cheaper side, but I don't want to be ripping myself off as I've got more and more things to pay out for, for when i go it alone.
You don't want to be known as cheap! It's hard to whack your hourly rate up from

Zeespark speaks wise words M8 , just because you are just starting up doesn't equate with cheapo. Always the rate for the job , your food/petrol/school uniforms cost the same as theirs , don't yer know!!!

I'll have to have a look into my outgoings and compare them then. Whats your usual take on materials? cost plus 10% 20%??

I'll have to have a look into my outgoings and compare them then. Whats your usual take on materials? cost plus 10% 20%??
As a customer I think you need to be careful here. If I get a quote I want it broken down into labour + materials. If you want to charge me

I get what you mean patch. How do you guys set out a written estimate? Price for materials and price for labour? Or both together?

All together, and I usually do each room as a subheading and make a list underneath of whats going into each room.AndyGuiness Drink
Listing without prices? Then just a Materials = xxx and Labour = xxx at the end of the estimate?

As the others have said...

If you start going in at a cheap price... (to buy customers),

when you have done more work and realise you cant cover your cost of living,

if you then try & raise your price....

the existing customers will say... oh I don't like him he's doubled his costs!

whereas .. charge a good rate to start with... do a good job...

customers are happy with you work standard & willing to stay at same rate.

You can always do a quote for a proper pay rate..

but offer a 10% discount on the first completed job...

Then customer still knows what to expect next time, or if they tell their friends about you the bench-mark labour costs are already known.

question....

What are your Qualifications & Experience?

That is what you are selling to the customer!

Don't forget to deduct 25% off your labour costs for the awfully nice TAX man etc...!

Screwfix are a good reference point to calculate material costs..

because you can always reference it as a worse case cost..

normally you will be able to get it cheaper....

But you can always justify the materials to the customer by showing the catalogue.
To make that point, I'm quoting for a TV loft distribution upgrade, the customer is a bit sharp (he thinks) tells me that SF have the box for