DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.

Ear Wax

Hi Dog Docs

I have a 4 month old Hugarian Vizsla, it is starting to get quite a build up of ear wax in its ears. I have bought the ear drops from Pets at Home but it doesn't appear to be softening the ear wax enough for the Q Tips to work. Dog is starting to learn that it is time to play hide and seek when she see's the Q Tip box coming out.

So is there another type of softener I could use on her floppy lugs, a different technique or do I just need to perservere?

Previous dog I have owned never suffered from this, but they didn't have floppy ears so I take it that is the cause?

Cheers Steve

Good evening!

I would say it's 75% likely that your dog has ear mites. These are really common in puppies and we pick them up in about a 1/3 of the puppies we see for their first vaccinations. I suspect your little beastie has slipped through the net.

NEVER NEVER NEVER use Q tips/ cotton buds in your own or your pets ears. All you do is push the wax deeper in! It really does harm.

You need a product called 'Epiotic' fantastic stuff. Dissolves wax, mildly antispectic and antifungal. Apply a generous amount of ear cleaner, massage ear canal and wipe away discharge from the top of the ear using cotton wool over your finger. NOTHING SMALLER THAN A FINGER IN THE EAR! Repeat daily until you get no more brown wax.

Some dogs need this done as a routine every 2-4weeks. If it doesn't clear up see you vet for more definitive treatment for the ear mites.

Thanks Apache for the help.

Cheers Steve

Good evening!

You need a product called 'Epiotic'

Does it work on kids???? My son like to feed ear wax to the cat who seems to think its a great delicacy.

Does it work on kids???? My son like to feed ear wax to the cat who seems to think its a great delicacy.

I wouldn't recomend it but doubt it would do any harm ;)

Archived