Wall chasing question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Fox

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Not done a lot of chasing out walls, well to be honest virtually none - don't need it in industrial work just put a bit of conduit on the wall!! I've done a bit in my own house but as most of that is plasterboard walls its been limited. So finally onto the question, In my own house I've chased the wall out wide enough for capping and nailed that onto the wall before platering over, but is this the best method, what do you guys who have a lot more experiance than me do? I've got to move a couple of sockets and light switches round a customers house about 4 foot.

Thanks

Plastic capping over any cable buried in the wall is there for protection (only) whilst the work is being carried out.

It prevents the dreaded trowel cuts some plasterers are known for.

I always use capping, but I have on occasion just clipped it directly to the wall.

A good tip for capping is to nail one side of the capping then slide the cable in before nailing the other side saves loads of time and helps to stop nail rash on the cable lol.

chasing out a wall to put new cables in i never put capping in

if you cant plaster a 2 inch hole without catching the cable well....

but if you were doing a new house first fix then i would use capping unless it was to be dob/dab then i wouldnt

saying that a bit of jointing plaster on wall first and then cable on it while it is going off..

If you are going to be a serious spark doing a lot of domestic stuff a diamond wall chaser is a must, I would not be without mine. I usually do a 25mm wide hole and then put cables through 20mm round conduit which is a lot quicker than oval conduit. Only time I might not do this if it is fletton walls then I probably would use oval.

Batty

Going to get a wall chaser or sds drill with rotation stop and chisels, but am buying tools when I need them as I go along, I've spent quite a few years buying pretty much everything I need for what I'm doing now originally as an industrial electrician and more recently as a service engineer both elec and mech (I drive a 3.5 ton van and its weighing in at 3.2 ton at moment so quite a bit of stuff in there!!) so now starting to get everything I need to "house bashing" so its a slow process. Am still part time at moment and am using my work part time to buy everything and as the work builds will switch to doing this full time which I'm hoping is going to be late this year by which time I'll hopefully have everything without borrowing a penny - well thats the plan!

Going to get a wall chaser or sds drill with rotation stop and chisels, but am buying tools when I need them as I go along, I've spent quite a few years buying pretty much everything I need for what I'm doing now originally as an industrial electrician and more recently as a service engineer both elec and mech (I drive a 3.5 ton van and its weighing in at 3.2 ton at moment so quite a bit of stuff in there!!) so now starting to get everything I need to "house bashing" so its a slow process. Am still part time at moment and am using my work part time to buy everything and as the work builds will switch to doing this full time which I'm hoping is going to be late this year by which time I'll hopefully have everything without borrowing a penny - well thats the plan!
i use a SDS with chisel. never used a wall chaser, although i have used an angle grinder a few times

and i can beat you on the van weight - mines somewhere around 3.3T!