dogs keep barking at each other - can I stop it

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Fox

Reaction score
Hello Patch,

I have a male staff aout 5 years old, had hime for about 3 years from rescue place. When we got him there was already an old staff next door and the pair of them barked at each other for a couple of weeks then decided to ignore each other for a bit now the older dog comes to the fence and whines for our dog but mine completely ignore him. But about 6 months ago we got new neighbours the otherside who have a female staff and if the pair of them are outside at the same time they bark and bark at each other trying to get thruogh the fence at each other, any ideas on how to get them to accept each other are there and live happily side by side for ever more as I've tried everything I can think of!!

Evening. Does everyone in your street have a Staffy?

:)

You have 2 options here see a behaviourist or get some kind of anti-bark collar. My sister had a problem with a barking dog and had a collar that hissed every time the dog barked.

You can get ultrasonic ones and hissing ones but please avoid the electric shock ones.

I'm not going to link the electric shock ones.

This is the best I can do - pet behaviour isn't really my thing!

Evening. Does everyone in your street have a Staffy? :)

You have 2 options here see a behaviourist or get some kind of anti-bark collar. My sister had a problem with a barking dog and had a collar that hissed every time the dog barked.

You can get ultrasonic ones and hissing ones but please avoid the electric shock ones.

I'm not going to link the electric shock ones.

This is the best I can do - pet behaviour isn't really my thing!
I like the electric shock ones, but my wife who really does the barking refuses to wear it:^O

Thanks for the reply patch, and yes everyone round here has a staffy, unfortunatly a lot of them are owned by people who use them as a bit of a status simbol type thing. Ours looks very mean as he is a long legged type and very muscular but is the total opposite personality wise. We did try a collar originally when we first got him as he used to really pull on his lead and bark at other dogs (until they barked back then he would screech and get scared) when out on his walk and it did nothing, and we won't use a shock collar - a choke chain did the trick in a couple of weeks with his walking!

Another quick question for you. He has for the last few days been barking and whining at night. He goes to his bed fine but at about 3am he does this. He has done it for the last 4 nights. And did it a few weeks ago exactly the same. Although we have recently had a baby (well 13 months ago) he is getting plenty of attention etc but we had a thought the dog next door he doesn't get on with is female, could this at night thing be anything to do with her being in season as the timings betwwen when he has done it seem about right and where they both sleep they are on opposite sides of a wall in the back rooms of both houses and as the waether has been warm the last couple of months both us and our neighbour have had the windows open at night? I know you said above you don't de behaviour stuff but you probably have more idea then me!!

Hello Patch, yeah he is but wasn't done until he was a coupel of years old if that makes any difference as he was a rescue dog.