Swine Flu

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exbdc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The wife has been diagnosed with swine flu. :(

Rang the doctors & was referred to the NHS Direct help line. Was diagnosed over the phone & informed she had swine flu. X(

Arrangements made to collect Tamiflu from local hospital. No problem, no queues or long wait.

Talking to the dispenser it turns out that swine flu will clear up on its own inside a week & that the Tamiflu only shortens the process by 2 days max.

Asked why there was a national obssession with it & was it a good use of NHS resources? The reply was a shrug of the shoulders, an embarassed smile & told that that was "government policy".

The two salient points appear to be that we are now diagnosing people by telephone, are in a state of near panic & prescribing medicine which is of no real benefit.

Has anybody else had similar experiences?

the whole thing is a waste of time and will be costing millions would be much better if people only contacted a doctor if they are really ill, not a slight cough

I am diabetic and am told I should have a flu injection by the government. But I can tell you I will never and I certainly won't have a the swine flu one either.

Batty

apparently the tami flu is more dangerous than the swine flu... its not even been tested yet ..

whats that all about ?

A lot of it is whipped by the news media, which is always hungry for new stories, remember Bird Flu, that was the same . Unfortunatly the NHS is expected to cope with too much , like the fertilisation thing, I suppose, and treating half the world for free. In any pandemic there will never be enough doctors.

seriously you could not make it up whats happening in this country .. its like an episode of black adder.

Flu is Flu at the end of the day, Swine, Bird or whatever you want to call it.

It kills 50,000 a year or more in the UK alone.

(Especially if you are ill or have underlying health problems anyway)

Live life and enjoy, stop worrying about something that for many is not a real issue.

Don & His Boys

Last edited by a moderator:
The Don is correct. It is just flu.

The best chance we have is a vaccine and if this was offered I may take it. I wouldn't take Tamiflu. It shortens the course of the disease by 1 day IF taken within 48 hours of the first symptom.

It is not free of symptoms and the BNF (big book doctors use with all the medicines listed with doses, side effects etc) states side effects as:

nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhoea; headache; conjunctivitis; less commonly rash; also reported, hepatitis, arrhythmias, neuropsychiatric disorders (in children and adolescents), visual disturbances, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, and toxic epidermal necrolysis
JL - Tamiflu is well tested. The vaccine may be rushed onto the market and when it is it will be untested in the face of disease. It will still have been tested for safety and efficacy!

BTW every person that takes Tamiflu costs the NHS

My grandson who is 16 has just recovered from swine flu, he was given Tamiflu but the effects made him very ill.

Media hype as turned a reletively normal everyday outbreak into a major health concern, when in fact as the Godfather has said ,under normal un reported, because its boring news, 50,000 people die each year from flu related illness.

The only thing I am worried about is the fact that this country has been less able to control the outbreak than most third world countries. Says a lot for our governments concern for the general public, and our deep ,I am alright Jack attitude to any problem.

Us Admin family were all ill lastweek, headaches, coughs, sore throats, temperatures, runny noses, and d+v.

My sister and mum thought swine flu, but we just took paracetamols and it went away...eventually.

Think it was just flu tho.Pray

Us Admin family were all ill lastweek, headaches, coughs, sore throats, temperatures, runny noses, and d+v.My sister and mum thought swine flu, but we just took paracetamols and it went away...eventually.

Think it was just flu tho.Pray
From your symptoms it is VERY likely the Admin family had swine flu. Temperature and a cough and they'll dish out the Tamiflu if you want it.

Glad your Ok now - wondered where you were!

From your symptoms it is VERY likely the Admin family had swine flu. Temperature and a cough and they'll dish out the Tamiflu if you want it.Glad your Ok now - wondered where you were!
We were fine untill i took the children to Cardiff for a party, the next day we were ill, i was weak:(.

I let my sister know and my nephew was ill too!

We were fine untill i took the children to Cardiff for a party, the next day we were ill.I let my sister know and my nephew was ill too!
Swine Flu!

The internet self diagnosis tool for DIY Tamiflu would give you the drug. You just needed a hight temp and two others from a list that included all your symptoms!

:D

Cases are down at the moment probably because kids aren't going to school.

Main thing is you are all ok :D

I'm going to bed - working tomorrow. NN :z

Swine Flu!The internet self diagnosis tool for DIY Tamiflu would give you the drug. You just needed a hight temp and two others from a list that included all your symptoms!

:D

Cases are down at the moment probably because kids aren't going to school.

Main thing is you are all ok :D

I'm going to bed - working tomorrow. NN :z
nn Patch. :)

Every medicine, prescription or otherwise, carries a health warning as a backside covering exercise. Blame our risk assessment litigaceous obsessed culture for that one. If you read it & took it seriously you never take as much as an asprin again.

Like Admin2 if I catch it from her indoors I shall just take to my bed & not bother with the doctors.