Hob wiring

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traineeboy

Reaction score
Hey chaps was on a job today where the guy I was with was installing a hob. It was one that had a L1 & L2, N & E. 

He wired it in and then later had a message from the customer saying one 2 or 4 rings heat up. It turned out he only connected the L1 to the connection unit. It was a 4 core cable that was pre wired so surely you just put the L1 & L2 conductors into the live at the connection unit. He said I was stupid and the L2 was for 2 phase only not when you use single phase. 

Some hobs come with copper "links" that need to be included when connecting to single phase ..........  did either of you read the instructions?

Hey chaps was on a job today where the guy I was with was installing a hob. It was one that had a L1 & L2, N & E. 

He wired it in and then later had a message from the customer saying one 2 or 4 rings heat up. It turned out he only connected the L1 to the connection unit. It was a 4 core cable that was pre wired so surely you just put the L1 & L2 conductors into the live at the connection unit. He said I was stupid and the L2 was for 2 phase only not when you use single phase. 

fitted a Bosch hob the other day that came with a 5 core cable. Under the connector panel lid was 2 brass linking plates to link out the live and neutral terminals. Cable was replaced with 3 core. 

Some hobs come with copper "links" that need to be included when connecting to single phase ..........  did either of you read the instructions?

I was doing something else in the kitchen while he sorted the hob. But he is arrogant and doesn't tend to read the instructions. 

Thanks, chaps it's as I thought. I went back with him today and the hob cable was already hard-wired in the hob so we just put the L1 and L2 in the live terminal on the Connection unit. Lol, he didn't like I was right. In the instructions, it says to put both L1 & L2 in the live terminal of the connection unit of 230v. Thanks again chaps. Not in an arrogant as I know I have a lot to learn but it's good for my confidence when I get something right and my Superior is wrong.