Smoke alarms in rental properties

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A landlord has purchased a new property and has asked me there are battery smokes installed from. Previous owner but do they need changing to. Mains with battery backup before the new tenants move in or are battery one sufficient 

You will need to check the English rules for rental properties.  In Scotland smoke / heat alarms must be mains powered and interlinked.  But we are allowed to use a CO alarm with a fitted for life 10 year battery,

AFAIR there is still no mandatory requirement for smoke / heat alarms in English rental properties and on this basis cheap skates are mainly not installing them. 

If I offer battery only units I only supply battery with integrated RF 

My understanding when I last checked was:-

For a two story dwelling, with a single family renting, smoke alarms are just a preferred recommendation.

If it has more than one family, (i.e. split into flats)..

Or it is a three story dwelling then smoke alarms must be fitted..

Even for non-rental I know three floor properties must have mains powered, battery back-up, interlinked detectors on each floor..

(Interlink can be hard-wired or RF)..

So I cant see how a three-floor rental could require less..

But for bog-standard two floor semi, renting-out mums old house cause she's now in care..

its was a bit vague  ??

Unless it has all been updated recently?

:C

My understanding when I last checked was:-

For a two story dwelling, with a single family renting, smoke alarms are just a preferred recommendation.

If it has more than one family, (i.e. split into flats)..

Or it is a three story dwelling then smoke alarms must be fitted..

Even for non-rental I know three floor properties must have mains powered, battery back-up, interlinked detectors on each floor..

(Interlink can be hard-wired or RF)..

So I cant see how a three-floor rental could require less..

But for bog-standard two floor semi, renting-out mums old house cause she's now in care..

its was a bit vague  ??

Unless it has all been updated recently?

:C

AFAIK there aren't any regs in place mandating this and judging by what I see when doing EICR's nobody is checking this 

AFAIK there aren't any regs in place mandating this and judging by what I see when doing EICR's nobody is checking this 

There are building regs that apply to detectors in New-Builds, Extensions, Loft conversions...

But as I said I am not up-to-date with the regulations re rental properties....

But, if you have got some spare time and want to read a loads of bumf you could start trawling the links from the Gov.uk guidance.. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/smoke-and-carbon-monoxide-alarms-explanatory-booklet-for-landlords/the-smoke-and-carbon-monoxide-alarm-england-regulations-2015-qa-booklet-for-the-private-rented-sector-landlords-and-tenants

Guinness

There are building regs that apply to detectors in New-Builds, Extensions, Loft conversions...

But as I said I am not up-to-date with the regulations re rental properties....

But, if you have got some spare time and want to read a loads of bumf you could start trawling the links from the Gov.uk guidance.. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/smoke-and-carbon-monoxide-alarms-explanatory-booklet-for-landlords/the-smoke-and-carbon-monoxide-alarm-england-regulations-2015-qa-booklet-for-the-private-rented-sector-landlords-and-tenants

Guinness

Yup - well aware of the new build / extensions etc

But on the subject of rentals there you go ........... lots of landlords are breaking the regs then but as they aren't within the scope of an EICR maybe we should simply be making comments about the lack of them

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts