Pricing help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Fox

Reaction score
Hello all,

Need a bit of help with some pricing please. Just been to quote the largest job I've had since trying to go solo a few months ago and want to try and get it about right. Basically a guy is having a large extension built - its 9 metres by 6.5 metres roughly. Its going to be a kitchen diner with an island in middle of kitchen for oven. He wants 6 double sockets,several FCU's to single sockets for fridge, dishwasher etc, 9 downlights on 2 seperate dimable circuits, Supplies for dimmable under cabinet lights, supplies for dimmable plinth lights, cooker supply, an outdoor light, outdoor socket, repositioning of cable to garage, also in an existing rooms he wants a total of 10 downlights to replace existing single pendant type lights, his existing kitchen is being turned into a study so will need the sockets lowering. All fittings are to be polished chrome. Also a consumer unit change. I've quoted at 6 days work and with parts approx

without knowing exact details of cable runs and house layout etc, id also agree with Batty. may take longer than 6 days (unless your working 12 hour days!)

Looking at that ive definably cut me own head off with the price i just put in for a rewire :_| and someone was still cheaper, bloke reckoned he could rewire a bungalow in half a day... i did ask if he arrived to quote on a horse :D

lots of chases to go in, so he was either talking rubbish or was going to surface mount it all!

I had 5 electricians in a house at once trying to do a rewire in a day.

It failed simply because there where far too many people in the house, the speed you had to work meant greater damage was done, and it just looked awfull.

We did manage a full rewire first and second fix in two days but would never do it again.

bloke isnt even a spark, said he would get his boss to sign it off even tho it was a job on the side, personally id rather do a good job and take the extra time when it doesnt have to be rushed.

lots of chases to go in, so he was either talking rubbish or was going to surface mount it all!
Definetly both!!! Even surface mount would take more than half a day - wiring the CU can take that long by itself. Suspect rogue trader type.

Hello all,Need a bit of help with some pricing please. Just been to quote the largest job I've had since trying to go solo a few months ago and want to try and get it about right. Basically a guy is having a large extension built - its 9 metres by 6.5 metres roughly. Its going to be a kitchen diner with an island in middle of kitchen for oven. He wants 6 double sockets,several FCU's to single sockets for fridge, dishwasher etc, 9 downlights on 2 seperate dimable circuits, Supplies for dimmable under cabinet lights, supplies for dimmable plinth lights, cooker supply, an outdoor light, outdoor socket, repositioning of cable to garage, also in an existing rooms he wants a total of 10 downlights to replace existing single pendant type lights, his existing kitchen is being turned into a study so will need the sockets lowering. All fittings are to be polished chrome. Also a consumer unit change. I've quoted at 6 days work and with parts approx

So the wonder sparks have reappeared again have they ? Rewire a bungalow in half a day Eh ! Half a working day is 4 hours , so 1 hour to make a list and collect the materials , 1 hour to get your gear on site ,rig up a loft light etc, 1/2 hour to remove light fittings , so one and a half hours left to rewire, 2nd fix, install bonding , fit Cons/unit, carry out tests. Mmmmmmmmm On that basis I could do 10 rewires a week @ say,

So the wonder sparks have reappeared again have they ? Rewire a bungalow in half a day Eh ! Half a working day is 4 hours , so 1 hour to make a list and collect the materials , 1 hour to get your gear on site ,rig up a loft light etc, 1/2 hour to remove light fittings , so one and a half hours left to rewire, 2nd fix, install bonding , fit Cons/unit, carry out tests. Mmmmmmmmm On that basis I could do 10 rewires a week @ say,

Blue Fox I think you are a bit light on labour, another day should do it but may still be tight.