What should I do?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc

Reaction score
Was asked by my girlfriend's parents to do a couple of jobs around thier house, wire a light switch correctly (her Dad had put metal ones on and got the wiring mixed up) and replace a double socket which was crackling. Fine, a doddle thought I. Did the light switch first, 2-way jobbie. Got the first one off....met with T+E and a conduit single. No conduit in sight. This is in a stud wall. Should I leave it be? Reccommend they get it changed? I doubt they'd be too keen chopping the plaster off and lifting the laminate upstairs, and at the minute they haven't really got the

If you ve resolved the crackling socket and lighting switch 'problems' then all you can do is highlight any other issues you come across. Their is a big difference between 'dangerous' and 'good practice'.

However as Andy said if your concerned offer to do a full PIR. ;)

re-wired 5 years ago an 3036's?sounds like a PIR would be useful
As I said, it works and has done all the time they've been there, so it must be fine. headbang

Edit: Sarni, I've only just finished 2330 level 2, I don't feel I'm in a position to do anything like that, and don't have the equipment neccessary.

all conductors may be fully exposed. works but is no where near safe. and if you think it is by your comment of 'it works so it must be fine', you should quit electrics before you kill someone

all conductors may be fully exposed. works but is no where near safe. and if you think it is by your comment of 'it works so it must be fine', you should quit electrics before you kill someone
It works so it must be fine is the thinking of her family, not my thinking, hence the headbanging smiley.

From your description of the wiring I doubt any rewire was undertaken 5 years ago.

The single "conduit" cable you mention could be a single red taken from the light as a live then linked with the twin&earth to form a strapper.

I would tell them to have a full PIR done as this will highlight any problems and show if the wiring has been touched.

I agree with the Guys, Marc. Tell them to have a PIR done.

As I said, it works and has done all the time they've been there, so it must be fine. headbang
I recently came across a TT system re-wired 20 years previous, without a single RCD in the entire house, fortunately no one had had an an accident, and no serious problems had arisen - bit like driving with no seatbelt - its fine until you have an accident. Can you get a friend to help with test gear????

how about taking the backbox out of the wall and slipping some 20mm normal or oval conduit up the wall to at least give it some form of protection in the wall? Tape on some singles to the existing cables and poke that through the conduit whilst its on the floor. then you've got your draw wire ready to pull while pushing the conduit up.

Obviously its not ideal, but its a start.

also are you sure its not a single and earth. And that the outer sheath has been stripped back beyond the box, and the earth just left cut off?

There's not much you can do to combat the 'it works so it must be alright' brigade.

'I don't want you to do anything, I just want the certificate' are the close cousins.

Just say that you don't think it's safe, but that you don't have the knowledge or testiing equipment to be able to help any further.

And leave it at that.

What cables were at the other end of the 2 way switch btw?

Marc you can only advise people even if it is family. Sensible people want things right but you will always get ones that think because it works its ok. you have just got to live with that.

Batty

Marc ask them if they would get in a car and knowing that it had no MOT, but 'it runs so must be safe'.AndyGuiness Drink
Yep, they would, I know that for the fact.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll see them again on Friday so will have a chat about it then, but I doubt I'll get anywhere with it. The single was definitely a conduit single, no earth in sight, and I pulled it down a good 8 inches or so out of the stud wall. It's just been taped to the T+E. At the other switch was 3C+E. The black is the permanent live as well, but her Dad fitted the (fancy) ceiling lights so I know who the culprit is with that. No brown sleeving on any of the cables either. headbang

Spec -

Q1/

Have they got ANY electrical certificates for the installation? No

Q2/

Is there any "Last Inspection Date" sticker on the CU? The CU is mounted behind a metal grill about 6 inches off the kitchen floor, I always presumed it was an air vent. No last inspection date at all.

Q3/

Do they ever have their car serviced / MOT'd / check screen -wash bottle / check fuel / air / oil / brake fluid etc..... Or do they just leave it because it is working ok?MOT'd & serviced yep, but a slow puncture on one of the cars means they have to keep filling it with air every few days. They're getting rid of it soon so no point having that repaired. :|

I'll ask around & see if anyone I know has the relevant test gear, but until then I just hope nothing goes wrong!

Thanks again for all the advice & help. :)

I'll ask around & see if anyone I know has the relevant test gear, but until then I just hope nothing goes wrong!Thanks again for all the advice & help. :)
You always considered checking costs with hire companies?

you can hire electrical test gear? :|