Qualifications Required - Self Employed Electrician

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madmandare

Reaction score
Hi,

I am 32 years old and I currently have a boring office job.

I have years of experience working alongside electricians, helping with the installation of Solar PV, alarm systems, CCTV and domestic wiring.

I am considering becoming an electrician myself and ideally I would want to be a self employed electrician doing general domestic work, but mainly focusing on Solar PV, electric vehicle chargers, domestic Wind Turbines, CCTV and Alarm Systems.

I am considering doing the Lvl 2 & 3 City & Guilds 2365 Diplomas and other smaller courses such as the 18th Edition course, EAL - Initial and Periodic Inspection, Testing & Condition Reporting Combined Course and 3 seperate Solar Panel, Wind Turbine and EV charger courses.

If i only wanted to be self employed and working in these areas, would i be able to become NICEIC approved contractor with these qualifications?

Or is it essential that i achieve my NVQ lvl 3 City & Guilds 2357 portfolio and aim towards achieving a JIB Gold Card?

Many Thanks

Marcus

You will not gain a recognised status without the NVQ 3. You will need the 2365 lvl 2&3, Nvq3 which I think is now incorporated into the 2365 lvl3?, you will then need to do your AM2, by doing these you will be exempt from needing the 18th Ed as you will be taught to the current Edition. Gaining these will give you Electrician Status. 
Add to this the CG2391 for inspecting and testing to cover all your testing aspects. 

To work in specific ‘green’ environments then you will be expected to get the other 3 courses you mentioned. 

Don’t waste any hard earned with short courses as the schemes (NICEIC, Napit etc) are looking at no longer recognising them. Principally because they are not giving suitable training to be an electrician. 

HTH