driiling joists

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuff4jas

Reaction score
Currently in the process of rewiring my house and Ive had conflicting advice about drilling the ceiling joists in the loft for running cables.

Can this be done ?

Any advice will be welcome

Thanks to all replies

Jas

i would not, run round the edges then inbetween the joist if possible..

Drilling of ceiling joists, floor joist, permissible chasing depths for walls...

etc.. etc..

All come under the various aspects of Building regulations.

All work complying with BS7671 "Wiring Regulations",

should also comply with ALL relevant building regulations..

Ceiling joist should not be notched, drilled or cut, as they are smaller timbers than floor joists.

e.g. a typical size cable hole cut in a floor joist, is a much larger proportion of a ceiling joist physical cross section!

There are some useful 'A5' size guidance book..

such as "Electricians guide to Building regulations" which covers this sort of stuff... :)

Drilling of ceiling joists, floor joist, permissible chasing depths for walls...etc.. etc..

All come under the various aspects of Building regulations.

All work complying with BS7671 "Wiring Regulations",

should also comply with ALL relevant building regulations..

Ceiling joist should not be notched, drilled or cut, as they are smaller timbers than floor joists.

e.g. a typical size cable hole cut in a floor joist, is a much larger proportion of a ceiling joist physical cross section!

There are some useful 'A5' size guidance book..

such as "Electricians guide to Building regulations" which covers this sort of stuff... :)
Generally they are smaller although some new builds I have done have the same size as other joists in the house.

Batty

never seen that before batty unless they are prearing for a loft after house is passed.

Dont want to appear patronising too much Jas, but if you have to ask advice on this issue do you really consider yourself competant to carry out a full rewire yourself ?...no offence but alarm bells are ringing.

i do agree A1 but on the other hand at least he is asking the question .. many dont its these that you need to worry about .. :(

Dont want to appear patronising too much Jas, but if you have to ask advice on this issue do you really consider yourself competant to carry out a full rewire yourself ?...no offence but alarm bells are ringing.
and this was the reason behind part p

part p failed from day 1.

the general public have no idea what part p is or what it involves its just another scam

i do agree A1 but on the other hand at least he is asking the question .. many dont its these that you need to worry about .. :(
Fair Point Made Jl ..

On house which have been built since the 70's that I know off use trusses in the roof which are approx 75mm on the bottom, drilling a 20mm hole in the middle would seriously weaken it.