RCBO tripping

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikel

Reaction score
Have been asked to look at a house where the rcbo protecting the lighting circuit has been 'tripping out' occasionally. From speaking to the occupants there doesn't seem to be any pattern to it. Doesn't trip when any particular light is operated and once has tripped when there were no lights on and no-one was in the house. Up until the last couple of times its tripped it had reset straight away, the last time it tripped it only reset after 20 - 30 mins had elapsed. Before I go to look at the problem has anyone got any ideas what may be causing this sort of tripping?

Could be the actual unit itself.

Try first with a replacement rcbo, or ramp test to see how sensitive the old one is.

Failing that there is a fault on the wiring and would need testing out to find any underlying problems.

Unfortunately, you don't know if its the RCD part or the overload part thats tripping. I wouldn't be surprised if someone has wired something else into the lighting circuit (tv booster for example) and that is the culprit.

Ian.

Unfortunately, you don't know if its the RCD part or the overload part thats tripping. I wouldn't be surprised if someone has wired something else into the lighting circuit (tv booster for example) and that is the culprit.Ian.
Or 500w flood.

Maybe some of the" occasional tripping" could be simply due to the usual -lamp blown-circuit breaker trips -situation. As for it tripping when all lights off and everyone out .this could be a supply problem. I think i would check all lighting circuit connections at C.U. and also check all main loops and main Earth conductor connections.

always check outside lights first if you have rcd problems i would say 70% of the time it is this