????

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micky

Reaction score
I'm looking at doing a course through some one called O.L.C.I. The quals i should gain are an EAL level 2 for domestic electrical installers, Part P, 17th edition (2382-10) and Inspection and testing. Two questions really can anyone tell me about O.L.C.I ( any good) and with the quals i'm looking at getting how employable am i???

Many Thanks

Micky

Hi Micky.

I did a course through another place, the quals i got were fanstastic, but remember they teach you to get through the exam and when you hit ther real world you find out its all a bit more daunting.

most of the time served guys on here dont like the 4 week wonders as we get called, but is is a way into the job if you cant afford to be an mate first.

I have gone self employed, as its better for me.

It will be intresting to see what the other guys thing on employing a fast track spark though.

I do not think anyone on here "does not like" the "4 week wonders" that use this forum as they understand they have more to learn and are willing to listen.

The issue comes when someone who a month ago was working in an investment bank decides he wants to be a spark now his Aston Martin has been taken away as he once plugged something in and thinks a short course (some are only 2.6 weeks) will give him all the life experience he needs to go out and house bash only to kill someone cos he found some old rubber cable that was white and black and decided it must be speaker wire or something.

Micky: welcome to the forum. Who do you want to be employed by (type of company)? As Paul has said, this may not be the best route and the prefered one seems to be the C&G 2330.

Ian.

I also did a course that offers the same, infact I met Paul b b there. In my opinion it was the best move I ever made. It was alot of money but if your determined to make the career change and make a better life for yourself then go for it. I too have set up on my own, gone with a competant persons scheme, got insurance and done everything by the book which is the only way you can in this trade due to the element of danger. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Micky - for future reference could we try more meaningful thread titles. If you want me to find this ever again you'll be lucky!

OLCI Course would have been much better

:)

the fast tracks courses are aimed at the joiners and plumbers for adding the odd f/s or additional socket or single circuit.

they are not aimed at people wanting to be full time electricians doing re wires or fault finding or the like.

no employer would employ a person doing an eal course (4day) and expect them to perform to the same standard as a 4 year apprentise trained electrican with his 2330 parts 1 and 2 and 2391 etc.

i and many other guys think that its a tastier course and further training is req to work and work to a high standard and also work safely.

I'm looking at doing a course through some one called O.L.C.I. The quals i should gain are an EAL level 2 for domestic electrical installers, Part P, 17th edition (2382-10) and Inspection and testing. Two questions really can anyone tell me about O.L.C.I ( any good) and with the quals i'm looking at getting how employable am i??? Many Thanks

Micky
Micky, firstly welcome to the forum.

Secondly, can I ask what is your current background and the reason for pursuing this route?

The Godfather

Thanks for all the replies very helpful. Just to elaborate a little further i'm not looking at doing this course and then to class myself as a fully fledged sparky i'm wanting to get these quals and work with someone to gain the experience i need to then go back and complete the C&G 2330 and 2356 i've just recently left the forces and wanted to get into a new career but earn a decent wage whilst i'm working. To answer the question about which company i'm in the west midlands area and not to sure who or where was hoping to get some sound advice on here.

Will the forces pay for the courses? If so then there are companies that will do 2330 full time (rather than eve classes at college or one week on, one week off) but they are not the cheapest.

Unfortunatly not because the course i'm looking at even though full time does not give me an NVQ level 3 which i need for them to help fund i looked into the level 3 but its going to take well over a year to achieve if i do it full time and can't afford not to work where as this will take a few months and hopefully work with or for someone for a year or so and then look into the rest when i've got alot more experience under my belt.

OK Micky

I have 2330 levels 2&3. I did them with OLCI You get all he the theory and a lot of practical; Circiut boards, SWA, cable tray, Steel conduit etc.

I now also have experience in house bashing and commercial. But still do not have my NVQ3 as I have no industrial experience (as yet - any offers?) in my diary.

However NICIEC will recognize 2330 and you can go self employed

college is good but it will not give you all the answers

I must say that there is a lot of knowlegable people on this forum