Security floodlight switching question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Any help is appreciated

I am adding a new security floodlight to my garage the old light had 4 connections ( live ) ( neutral) (Earth) ( switched live). I could switch this permanently on from a switch inside garage or otherwise would switch using PIR sensor

I now need to swap this out but the new LED security light has 3 connections (live) (neural). (earth)

How can I wire this using the old wiring ? And using the switch to overide the PIR

Thanks 👍

Presumably your new light has inbuilt PIR(?). 

Very few of them now bring out the switched live, so that ceases to be an option and your override switch is redundant.

Just connect the permanent live, neutral and earth.

Alternatively swap your new fitting for one with switched live accessible, if you can find one,  OR have separate lamp and PIR units.

Presumably your new light has inbuilt PIR(?). 

Very few of them now bring out the switched live, so that ceases to be an option and your override switch is redundant.

Just connect the permanent live, neutral and earth.

Alternatively swap your new fitting for one with switched live accessible, if you can find one,  OR have separate lamp and PIR units.
Yes. It has a PIR inbuilt. It says you can overide this by switching power on/off/on in quick succession to overide the PIR. Then it will act like a normal floodlight. There is a switch but don't know if I can somehow use this to have both pir and switch in use 

4 connections ( live ) ( neutral) (Earth) ( switched live) 

just connect the switched live to the new light and leave the switch on all the time , until you need to override it then you can switch it "off" then "on" quickly  , leave the permeant live unused

There is a switch but don't know if I can somehow use this to have both pir and switch in use 
Yes, easily. Use the switched live instead of the permanent live. Your switch will then perform as per those instructions. Obviously it has to be ON for the PIR to operate.

The switching operations can be tricky and its timing critical. I used to have one like that and considered it a PIA.

4 connections ( live ) ( neutral) (Earth) ( switched live)

just connect the switched live to the new light and leave the switch on all the time , until you need to override it then you can switch it "off" then "on" quickly , leave the permeant live unused
Thanks I'll give it a go

Yes, easily. Use the switched live instead of the permanent live. Your switch will then perform as per those instructions. Obviously it has to be ON for the PIR to operate.

The switching operations can be tricky and its timing critical. I used to have one like that and considered it a PIA.
Brilliant I'll try

Locked to prevent hi-jacking (again)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts