New Phone Cable Issues...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swiss2008

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm staying with my Dad at the moment and he's having problems replacing his ancient BT corded phone, he informed me that the last one he ordered online was dead when he plugged it in, so I ordered him a big button one off Amazon and when it arrived had exactly the same issue, completely dead when plugged in.   

So I began to investigate and found that there is a difference between the cable ports and cables, with the original phone there are three pins in the port and the cable has four contacts, where as with the new phone it has two pins in its port and two contacts on the cable, do you think this is causing the problem and if so is there an adapter to fix the issue?

Thank you in advance!! 😊

Original Phone.JPG

Original Cable.JPG

New Cable.JPG

New Phone.JPG

You need to get back to the master socket with a conventional (not cordless) phone to establish that the line into the house is good. If it isn't it's a BT issue.

Then make sure that the link cable you are using to your cordless base is the one actually supplied with it.  They all look the same, but aren't

You need to get back to the master socket with a conventional (not cordless) phone to establish that the line into the house is good. If it isn't it's a BT issue.

Then make sure that the link cable you are using to your cordless base is the one actually supplied with it.  They all look the same, but aren't

Thank you Geoff, there is nothing wrong with the line as when the original phone is plugged in it works no problem, the cable that runs to where the phone is is very long and goes through two walls, are you saying that needs to be replaced?

OK, if you know you have a working master socket, plug your new phone directly into it and see if that works. If it does the problem is in your fixed wiring. 

The "link cable" I was referring to is that between the phone base station and a fixed connector.

Hi Guys,

I'm staying with my Dad at the moment and he's having problems replacing his ancient BT corded phone, he informed me that the last one he ordered online was dead when he plugged it in, so I ordered him a big button one off Amazon and when it arrived had exactly the same issue, completely dead when plugged in.   

So I began to investigate and found that there is a difference between the cable ports and cables, with the original phone there are three pins in the port and the cable has four contacts, where as with the new phone it has two pins in its port and two contacts on the cable, do you think this is causing the problem and if so is there an adapter to fix the issue?

Thank you in advance!! 😊

View attachment 11522

View attachment 11523

View attachment 11524

View attachment 11525
What connector do you have on the other end of the cables you have pictured

For some reason some equipment connects on pins 3 and 4 at the equipment but the BT plug connects to the phone line on pins 2 and 5

It is quite usual to cut the BT plug off and fit a new  BT plug with the connections on 2 and 5 or do the same but with an RJ11 plug (it is easier to make sure the cable cores are in the right place) and use an RJ11 to BT plug adaptor