CLICK HERE TO JOIN.
  •  

Countdown To Christmas!

post light

danny7299

Question

danny7299

Got one of these to put in...post

I have never done one beofore, it will be in a flower bed, and i just need some advice on how to fix it, so it stays up.... though about using half a paving slab and then buring it.

any other ideas?

cheers]:)

13 answers to this question

When I have done bollards usually put armoured straight into fitting rather than jointing but instructions should tell you what you need.

Batty

When I have done bollards usually put armoured straight into fitting rather than jointing but instructions should tell you what you need.

Batty

if its only a small light post then usually there isnt enough room to get the conduit box in the post, so a armoured joint underground and a flex to the top of the fitting inside the unit is better in my opinion.

;)

boltonsparky

Fitted one similar to this from argos, simmilar price, it was terrible to install. no room at the bottom to allow for an armoured cable. Better using the ones with a straight hollow post that allow room to connect the armoured cable in the lamp.

Always dig a hole and fill with concrete, not forgetting the cable and fixings (if they're the type of fixings you pre-set in the concrete).

It's probably way over engineered but I always make the concrete block to a depth of a third of the post height. Wouldn't use a slab, asking for trouble and I wouldn't bury the base of a post of the quality these types are!!

Happy digging!

im still digging :^O :^O :^O:coat

Digging.gif

Andy™

you dont seem to be getting far

i think the bigger the slab the better as it will be within loose soil in a flower bed and liable to blow over in high wind. concrete would be best, imo.

NozSpark

If it's like any I have done, it comes with a thin metal frame with the fixing studs on that you concrete in...

Just make sure that your duct/cable is in before you concrete..

Also, the one that I did had a nasty little junction box (if you can call it that) which somehow allowed water in and caused the RCD to trip.. I ended up removing it and using a trouser box and stuffing glands.

Apache

It looks a bit cheap to me.............

jl-heating

i would drop some concrete in and sink some bolts/threaded bar into it .. then when solid bolt it in place .. remember the ducting though for cable . :) as above

I think it will need concreting in. It does look very flimsy. you will just have to make the best out of a bad job so to speak. Just satisfy yourself it is secure and the connections are completely weatherproof.

boltonsparky

He fills that barrow up bloomin quickly!!!

ROTFWL

danny7299

cheers all... yes it is cheap. the customer has bought it , and said " here you go, can you install this?" so we will see what is like ...

many thanks

concrete pad, with cable duct in place, the drill and screw to floor with 3 inch screws

;) flex from light to soil bed then resin joint onto armoured ;)

Archived