post light

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danny7299

Reaction score
Got one of these to put in...post

I have never done one beofore, it will be in a flower bed, and i just need some advice on how to fix it, so it stays up.... though about using half a paving slab and then buring it.

any other ideas?

cheers] :)

If it's like any I have done, it comes with a thin metal frame with the fixing studs on that you concrete in...

Just make sure that your duct/cable is in before you concrete..

Also, the one that I did had a nasty little junction box (if you can call it that) which somehow allowed water in and caused the RCD to trip.. I ended up removing it and using a trouser box and stuffing glands.

i would drop some concrete in and sink some bolts/threaded bar into it .. then when solid bolt it in place .. remember the ducting though for cable . :) as above

I think it will need concreting in. It does look very flimsy. you will just have to make the best out of a bad job so to speak. Just satisfy yourself it is secure and the connections are completely weatherproof.

cheers all... yes it is cheap. the customer has bought it , and said " here you go, can you install this?" so we will see what is like ...

many thanks

When I have done bollards usually put armoured straight into fitting rather than jointing but instructions should tell you what you need.

Batty

When I have done bollards usually put armoured straight into fitting rather than jointing but instructions should tell you what you need.Batty
if its only a small light post then usually there isnt enough room to get the conduit box in the post, so a armoured joint underground and a flex to the top of the fitting inside the unit is better in my opinion.

;)

Fitted one similar to this from argos, simmilar price, it was terrible to install. no room at the bottom to allow for an armoured cable. Better using the ones with a straight hollow post that allow room to connect the armoured cable in the lamp.

Always dig a hole and fill with concrete, not forgetting the cable and fixings (if they're the type of fixings you pre-set in the concrete).

It's probably way over engineered but I always make the concrete block to a depth of a third of the post height. Wouldn't use a slab, asking for trouble and I wouldn't bury the base of a post of the quality these types are!!

Happy digging!

im still digging :^O :^O :^O :coat

Digging.gif

Latest posts