help needed to trouble shoot fault

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne Patterson

Reaction score
Can some one please help with this. I am getting 11v on two light circuits, it should be 240v Other lights in the circuit are working OK, it is just the hallway light and bedroom light that do not work. I have opened up the two switches and batten holders to check for loose wires but everything looks OK. So why would the circuit only have 11v on it? I assume it is a loose wire some where, are I correct?

What are you measuring the voltage with and between which conductors.

If you are using a DIY electronics multimeter, that 11 volts is probably just a misleading induced voltage from adjacent wiring. They really aren't suitable for that sort of use.

BE CAREFULL!  If the neutral is broken somewhere there will still be 230volts to earth on the light fitting.

Well simply it has to be a loose connection or a broken cable (screw or nail through it)

First question has to be WHAT had you just done prior to it stopping working?  If the answer really is nothing then most likely a loose connection as cables rarely spontaniously sever themselves, but if you have done anything involving screws or nails look very carefully at what you might have put a screw or nail through.

You need to understand how your lights are wired, i.e. loop at light, loop at switch, or an older all in one big junction box somewhere, before you can make much sense of it.

You also need to do some DEAD continuity tests, you don't even yet know if the problem is missing L or missing N (or both)

I am no electrician, but any time i test anything for voltage i ALWAYS test between phase and neutral AND then phase to earth, AND then between neutral and and earth. Reason being is that it is generally the volage to earth that is liable to kill me!!

john..

Well simply it has to be a loose connection or a broken cable (screw or nail through it)

First question has to be WHAT had you just done prior to it stopping working?  If the answer really is nothing then most likely a loose connection as cables rarely spontaniously sever themselves, but if you have done anything involving screws or nails look very carefully at what you might have put a screw or nail through.

You need to understand how your lights are wired, i.e. loop at light, loop at switch, or an older all in one big junction box somewhere, before you can make much sense of it.

You also need to do some DEAD continuity tests, you don't even yet know if the problem is missing L or missing N (or both)
Thanks that sounds like a good start