Potential Sparky

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louisIV

Reaction score
Hi folks

If I took the poll at the top of the forum, I'd have to put myself down as a non-sparky, but I will be starting training to become one in the autumn. So you might say I have potential ;) (See what I'm doing there? Heard it a million times?).

Anyway hello!

L IV

Hello LouisIV.

Welcome to the forum.

Good Luck with your studies. And remember, If you get stuck - we are only just down the superhighway. :)

We even have our own forum dedicated to help Students. (Student & Learning Zone).

Thanks for the replies guys. Yes - you do seem to be super-friendly here! I stumbled on this forum yesterday when I was trying to get some info on a brand of electric storage heaters. I'm glad I came here, as it will be good to get to know people already working in the field while I'm still a student. (I'm a student again at 49 years old :0)

I've been in the music industry all my life, but it's an industry in its death throws - always chasing after a bigger share of an ever-decreasing pie. Taking its customers to court, etc. I got fed up with the way my job had changed over time also, and in the end decided I had to get out to stay sane.

In the long run, I want to be involved in the renewable energy business, which has got to be an expanding industry over the next twenty years. My course starting in September (training to become and electrician) is the first step.

Thanks for the link to the student and learning zone Admin (you good-lookin' skeleton you).

Hi louisIV,

Good luck with your study, if need help just shout. ;)

Thatnks WarrenG; I think I'll be back here for advice as the terms go by. Maybe I'll even learn enough to give advice by the end, hehe.

Hi Potential Sparky, what a great punny username lol.... yes I think they are plenty of down-to-earth people on this site who you will be able to bond with.... : O)

Hi Potential Sparky, what a great punny username lol.... yes I think they are plenty of down-to-earth people on this site who you will be able to bond with.... : O)
OK, a few months into my course, and I get the 'bonding' pun. ; \

Been recovering my 'O' level maths from the dusty vaults of my memory, and am pleased with my progress in the course so far. When I was a kid, you could tell me something once and it was usually in there permanently. Now, I'm finding that I have to do constant revision to make things stick. But I'm pleased that I am understanding things as we go along, and with the extra effort, it is all sticking.

Anyway, I'll probably be around more often now that I've got a bit of the course under my belt!

L IV

:Welcome: LouisIV . This is a great forum to learn from and you are never too old to learn . I'm 43 now and have done my c&g lvl 2330 2 and 3 and enjoyed it because I wanted to learn and I willl continue to learn in this ever changing industry . This forum has provided me with invaluable advice and I hope I can give sound quality advice to anyone that needs it . Hope you enjoy your learning and that you get plenty of hands on experience as I have been fortunate enough in having .

Hi Magaohm7

I'm definitely enjoying learning - both the theory and the 'hand skills'. I feel I'm being stretched for the first time in years - and it feels good.

Getting that practical experience is the biggest deal at the moment. I'd identify that as my weak spot. It's one thing to do something in the college workshop - totally another thing to do it in the real world.

Hi Louis

Welcome on the forum :)

You mention your age no worries you still young, I was studying with someone who was 63, still young, any time ;)

Good luck with your studying.....

Jo

Been recovering my 'O' level maths from the dusty vaults of my memory, and am pleased with my progress in the course so far. When I was a kid, you could tell me something once and it was usually in there permanently. Now, I'm finding that I have to do constant revision to make things stick. But I'm pleased that I am understanding things as we go along, and with the extra effort, it is all sticking.

L IV
Welcome - whats an 'O' Level? is that one of them red line laser thingies?