Thinking of changing PCs OS

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NozSpark

Seaman stains™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just though I'd seperate this from the other thread..

I've had enough of my Laptop (Acer Aspire 3680) and Vista... It takes ages to boot up and sometimes freezes for no apparent reason, then it works ok for a while..

So I am thinking of backing up the hard drive and switching to Linux.. probably Ubuntu.

THe only software I use is Openoffice, a browser and some photo editing

I also have a desktop running XP which is fine.

Does anyone else run Linux?

If so what do you think of it??

Has it always been slow?

Have you wiped HD recently? My computer nerd/expert claims windows has a half life of 12-15months!

Not keen on linux but thats just my unix snobbery.

Not sure how it is now but the power saving bits and laptop utils were not great on linux (mind you they are carp on windows too).

Given the choice I would try and hack XP on it rather than ubuntu as its a lappy.

Ian.

I concur with my learned colleague above about the mac.

i have tried various linux, but main problem being many programs arent designed to work on them. i now have XP installed on desktop PC after 2 month of vista.

guaranteed to be problems with a new OS. main reason why many went back from vista to XP
Quite right, it won't be long before the usual exploits are found by the hackers, and then we need al the updates.

The Don & his Boys, approve of XP.

The Godfather

Bite the bullet and go with Ubuntu!!! Easy download - works a treat - and if you aren't into gaming has so many free programs available it can do virtually anything you want!

My main computer cost

I have now installed Ubuntu as a dual boot on my laptop..

It is unbelievably fast to boot up and shut down and the software runs a lot faster.

The only problem that I have is with my home wireless network.. I got it to find my PC the other night, but today it won't:( :(

It also wouldn't find the printer attached to my PC

ATM I feel that I'm headbangheadbang, but I'm sure over time I will either sort it out or switch to XPROTFWL

Does it connect to the network? Can you ping your router?

As for the printer, is it USB? Type 'sudo lsusb' in a console and see if its listed. What printer is it and have you checked it's got linux drivers and not a 'windows printer'?

Ian.

Sorted the networking problem now... t'was the firewall..

The printer is attached to my XP machine through by USB, it's a Cannon Pixma MP460

I haven't got the Linux driver for it yet,, but then again my laptop doesn't see it either.

OMG. NT3.51 and 4 were much more stable than any of the "home user" OS's.
We are talking about home users.

And how many "home users" are using those os's?

Not many..