bondings

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For TN-S or TT systems the csa of main protective bonding conductors must be a minimum of 6mm and not be less than half the csa of the main earthing conductor. 544.1.1

The Godfather

thanks Godfarther!

i may as well use 4 for the sup bondings, unless you guys think otherwise (there is an rcd but onlu protects half the circuits)

This also made me laugh, When i was there the home owner (been there 9 months) phoned the guy he bought it from to ask where the main bonding was, he was sure it was there somewhere, the guy said on the phone that since he installd a rcd in 2006 that main and sup bondings we no longer required! ho ho ho. he showed me a PIR he recived with the house docs dated 2008 and 1 page long (i noted that there was nothing written in the main bondings box) shortest pir i have evere seen.

still more work for me!!

If the wiring is to the 17th edition supplementary bonding may not be needed. Not in 2006 though.

If main bonds are put in place then my amateurish electrical brain says getting all circuits on an RCD is next in importance!

The Don would consider RCD protection, essential to say the least on a TT system.

Don & His Boys

I agree with you, but if the customer does not want it done.

Though i could change the main switch for a time delay s type, what cert would be needed for this?

also do you issue a cert for installing bondings?

I agree with you, but if the customer does not want it done.Though i could change the main switch for a time delay s type, what cert would be needed for this?

would be a MWC - no?

I agree with you, but if the customer does not want it done.Though i could change the main switch for a time delay s type, what cert would be needed for this?

if he refuses to have an RCD, direct him to this

paul ...your original question asked about the required size for the Main Bonding cables. The Godfather answered that for you...after that Im not sure what other work you intend to do, apart from maybe Supp bonding in the bathroom.If you do any other work then as long as its on the circuits controlled by the RCD you will only have to comment on your Certificate [E.I.C / MEWC. on the non rcd protected circuits cos you havent worked on them.If you work on the non rcd protected circuits then in most cases your wiring will have to be protected by an rcd due to either high Zs or Additional Protection requirements...Or both

sorry to hijack but this is kinda related, u bond all incoming services correct, even oil. what if the oil tank is inside the house

sorry to hijack but this is kinda related, u bond all incoming services correct, even oil. what if the oil tank is inside the house
I think the critical word is incoming. It's inside the house - can't bring in any potential so no need to bond. You'll be wanting me to bond me hot water cylinder next!

:D

Simple to the non-spark?

thats waht i thought, the waters bonded but that comes in on plastic then copper.

and get this for an old argument. i rang eon and asked about exporting pme, they said its fine just dont touch the cut out fuse and ther stuff ect. i also talked to an eon engineer in the street he said he was a spark and they always exported pme to out buildings. i told him about loseing the nutral and he agreed but said loads of outbildings are wired this way and the rcd should trip

thats waht i thought, the waters bonded but that comes in on plastic then copper.and get this for an old argument. i rang eon and asked about exporting pme, they said its fine just dont touch the cut out fuse and ther stuff ect. i also talked to an eon engineer in the street he said he was a spark and they always exported pme to out buildings. i told him about loseing the nutral and he agreed but said loads of outbildings are wired this way and the rcd should trip
plenty threads on here about exporting PME/making it TT etc

only needs bonded if it can introduce a potential. just because its inside, doesnt mean its not extraneous. check continuity between the metallic parts and earth. if its under 23K ohms, bond it