Ring main question?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spider

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just a quick question can't seem to find this information any where even in books that ive read if someone could clear it up for me it would be great.

standard 2.5mm twin and earth cable is rated at being able to handle 18.5a max right so why when the single cable is used in a ring main setup its now capable of handling 32a???. Thanx for any advice given.

Hi everyone,Just a quick question can't seem to find this information any where even in books that ive read if someone could clear it up for me it would be great.

standard 2.5mm twin and earth cable is rated at being able to handle 18.5a max right so why when the single cable is used in a ring main setup its now capable of handling 32a???. Thanx for any advice given.
27A

The Boys

Remember a ring has 2 legs so theoretically half the load is down each leg.

My basic understanding is that in certain installation methods 4mm may be required for a ring on a 32A breaker.

thanx for the quick replies i think i understand now because the hot wire both enters and leaves the 32a MCB its classed as having two points for the load to travel down where as in say a radial circuit there's only one hot wire leaving the MCB.

Whats it like terminating 4mm in a standard double socket is 4mm hard to work with? 2.5mm should be fine but 4mm might give more peace of mind.

Whats it like terminating 4mm in a standard double socket is 4mm hard to work with? 2.5mm should be fine but 4mm might give more peace of mind.
4mm cost a lot more also it may be a bit tight getting 2 4mm cables in to a socket, though i have never tried.

the problem with 2.5mm is if a cable come out of a socket, you get 2 radials that can only carry 27A on a 32A mcb, so best to make sure all terminals are tight.

If I have to do more than one socket of a ring I tend to wire in 4mm and never have had problems getting them in a socket.

Batty

Current carrying capacity of each leg of the ring has got to be minimum of 20A [after applying any derating factors etc]....if you like regs try 433.1.5

The first amendment to the 16th was that the current carrying capacity of 2.5mm

Another point with ring mains is that you can spur off them, but only with 1 point without a switch fused spur. If the spur is a double socket the potential load is 26amps, maximum current carrying capacity of 2.5mm cable is 27amps without derating factors. With derating factors the cable could be overloaded.

Is this why some of you are talking about rings wired in 4mm cable?

Never come across a ring main wired in anything bigger than 2.5mm. Heard of the 4mm 32amp radial socket circuits though.

BS1363 double sockets are only designed for a max of 13A between both outlets, although better makes will take more

a ring main may need to be wired in 4mm

I'v wired a ring main in 4mm(not my choice), waste of time I think. Much better to have a radial or two, easier to test, never any problems with ring con and overall more capacity You could use 2.5 or 4mm using 16 or 20 amp mcb's. So much easier and less faults when upgraded in the future

All that extra insulation in timber framed new builds pretty much means 4mm for the rings now.

With 25mm back boxes mounted almost flush it's a bit tight, so use deeper boxes is my tip.