outdoor lights?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derek13

Reaction score
evening all am thinking of installing a pir security light outside and thought i would get your views the plan is to come off the upstairs lighting circuit with twin and earth drill through at highish level and fix the light? is twin and earth ok to run outside for a very short length ??ps will be drilling through the loft.

cheers for ur help;)

that would work however you might want to install a fused spur switch with 3A fuse, easily accessed from just inside loft hatch for when you have to change the lamp

not required but would make for a better job

i.e. 1.0/1.5mm t&e from upstairs light to fused spur to pir light

good point do outdoor security lights often trip that circuit through water etc being outdoor that concerns me? and would the installation of a 3 amp unswitched fused spur take that risk away i.e. only trip the fuse spur 3 amp fuse??

thanks very much again

depends on what you have in the consumer unit

old style rewirable fuses and the 3A fuse should blow first

newer style mcb's and the mcb will trip before the 3A fuse

that wasnt the reason for suggesting it, more because you would have to turn off the whole lighting circuit should any work be needed on the new light, which might not sound to bad but then imagine your up the ladder messing on with light and someone comes home, finds the light in the bathroom wont work and realises the trip thingys down, switches it up and....

this has recently been reported to have happened to a young plumber, he had turned off mcb under the stairs and went into loft to do some wiring work only for the old lady in the house to turn the mcb back on..... killing him

this has recently been reported to have happened to a young plumber, he had turned off mcb under the stairs and went into loft to do some wiring work only for the old lady in the house to turn the mcb back on..... killing him
shows the need for a lock on the MCB!

thanks guys just a quick question why if new style mcb is fitted why will that blow before 3 amp in fused spurr ??? thanks again for ur help

thanks guys just a quick question why if new style mcb is fitted why will that blow before 3 amp in fused spurr ??? thanks again for ur help
let through current of an MCB can be less than whats needed to blow a fuse of a lower rating

the house has new style mcbs at the board so i take it that if water does get into the light etc the mcb is still likely to take the upstairs circuit out anyway?even if its installed from light to switched fused spurr to outdoor light?????

cheers

cheers andy just to get your opinion would u be happy to install the light -light-switched fused spurr-outside light ?? just wanna be extra sure !!

thanks

yes, but make sure its DP. some are only SP. or if its from a lighting circuit, you dont need a fuse in it
Hi Andy , must say ive never come across a single pole F.S.C.U ...you learn something every day....what manufacture are these then...surely they must all conform to the same B.S ?

Hi Andy , must say ive never come across a single pole F.S.C.U ...you learn something every day....what manufacture are these then...surely they must all conform to the same B.S ?