what faults did you get on 2330/ 303 practical?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

machine1283

Reaction score
what faults did you get on 2330/ 303 practical? could anyone who has done this give me an idea of the faults they found on the 303 practical. Anything would be a massive help.

Off the top of my head I think there where so many visual faults, (3 I think) and so many fault that you would only find when you test out (7 I think)

Visual faults where...

# No label on earth bonding strap

# the blue core of the switch cable needed a brown sleeving putting on it.

# missing screws in accessories

# Ip rating of accessories i.e. holes in boxes

# Visual on the ring main showed a polarity fault.

When testing out there where things like:

# No continuity to the water/ Gas pipes.

# Insulation resistance on a few of the circuits

# The strappers on the 2 way lighting circuit didn

Just like to add:

Cracked accessories (visual)

Polarity on ES fitting

Open circuit on ring final cicuit (CPC in my case)

Not always, a broken neutral on a radial will not show up until functional testing!
dont know about everyone else but it makes me alot happier if i confirm neutral continuity before i power up even if some dont bother.

dont know about everyone else but it makes me alot happier if i confirm neutral continuity before i power up even if some dont bother.
R1Rn should be part of the testing. i normally do this at same time as R1R2

the only time its required these days is for ring continuity

they don`t make the faults hard to find because it takes them the (college lectures ) to long to go around and put the faults back on for the next person to find.

Searly - As a lecturer who places faults on the 303 board - Why would I take anytime putting fauts on that have not been found? I leave them on- if they are not found the candidate fails and I leave the fault on. A good set of faults will include, visuals, circuit and functional faults. ( I'm classifying O/C neutral on radial and lighting circuits as functional as these should not be picked up before power in appled). The best way to fault find is to follow the sequence of tests in the OSG (which does not include Rn except for A1 circuits). Reember that dead testing ansers the question is is safe to live test, live testing answers the question is it safe to energise. If the lighting circuit as an O/C Rn fault- it will not function , but it remains safe to energise. On a small board it may seem no big time factor to do test continuity of all Rn's . But in a large installation the time would be a big factor. Stick to the sequence as laid down in the Regs and OSG