Discount-Electrical, does your experience mirror mine?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcdman

Reaction score
Tried these guys for the first time this week - the low prices were an incentive for getting the commodity bits for a tight-wad job early next week and to replenish the store shelves (back-boxes etc.)

Not a good first impression though! Ordered at lunchtime weds, and they have as standard a FedEx next day service, if you order before 4pm, and with the promise of an email to confirm shipment and tracking number. No email Weds, or yesterday. Finally (after several calls) it arrived today, or rather HALF the order did (in box with 12/08/09 written on and badly altered to say 13/08/09!). After several more calls, I got a call back from the Hull branch (local to me in Leeds??) to say the missing bits were just in stock in the last hour (not according to the website when I ordered - they were all stock!) and as for the JBs "they didn't have white in stock and did I want brown". FFS why no call on Weds, or yesterday! headbang

Sorry but the cheapness doesn't compensate for this crap service, even for "commodity bits" like JBs etc. Not going to be using them again in a rush, that's for sure, once bitten....... and all that. :|

Anyone else had the same experience with this mob?

According to the website there a single site operator based in Spalding, Lincs.

Probably been easier to goto a local w'saler. At least if they're out of stock there's always another one round the corner or on the same road.

Today's parcel definitely came from Hull, and the lass that rang called from a 01483 number!

I'm sticking to Denmans and Neweys now though. A few of my local sparky mates had suggested trying this mob but despite their low prices they just didn't seem at all organised! They might get a chance again when it's time to do a big "store cupboard" buy maybe, but not for everyday.

As it is, I've got to go to my usual guys now to get the missing bits I need for Monday morning!

Sorry Nicky, it was a typo! 01482 373xxx was the number that called me. The number belongs to "Bonus Electrical Superstore" in Hull apparently - a partner/off-shoot/parent of D-E?

shame to hear this as prices are good and a extensive range, i was thinking of using them like you to stock up on usual bits now and again.

Hello Nicky been on holiday again. ;)
Hello Bats, as it happens just got back from Gt Yarmouth, couldnot get on the beech cos it was full of wasps and ladybirds.

I've used Discount Electrical for a while, and found them to be generally good, as I said in another post, good prices and range, service not as good as Screwfix.

Their printed catalogue has been more of a success than they expected, caught them unawares I think.

I know what you mean about "once bitten" but my experience is that they are eager to please, I'd give them another go in a while.

Hello Bats, as it happens just got back from Gt Yarmouth, couldnot get on the beech cos it was full of wasps and ladybirds.
Was the weather ok though. We went to Devon a few weeks back was quite wet at times but as they say a change is as good as a rest.

I've had a similar experience with them, promised next day and turned up about 5 days later. The thing is i would have been happy to wait 5 days if i'd known from the start as i could have organised my week to suit. I had no email either. I'd rather buy from somewhere that quoted 3-5 days and delivered within that time, P*sses me off when they win your business by promising what they can't deliver.

i had a similar situation recently, but they sort it out...

Ordered parts on Wednesday with the promise of next day delivery..

Nothing arrived then Friday only PART or the parcel came, with a letter stating the rest is out of stock. Why does it let you order online if out of frigging stock?

The other half of the parcel (the bit i really needed) i had to call to say this is no good going to my address as im not there and on a job so could they refund it, they asked where i was, and would deliver there if was local, and within phone going down it arrived 2 hours after.

Still wont use them again. prefere http://www.gil-lec.co.uk/

Been told about these guys and considered giving them a try.

Thanks for the tip about the poor service as I won't bother trying them now.

Can't be bothered dealing with incompetent companies. headbang

Every item on their website says normally dispatched within 2 - 3 working days. They then contradict themselves on the delivery page. Wouldnt write them off totally just yet.

but a (any) company has or can take up to 30 days to deliver any goods

bob

Was the weather ok though. We went to Devon a few weeks back was quite wet at times but as they say a change is as good as a rest.
Its green down here because it rains :^O , although this year is extra wet - I've never seen the reservoirs full at this time of year before. Hope you enjoyed the trip anyway.

Its green down here because it rains :^O , although this year is extra wet - I've never seen the reservoirs full at this time of year before. Hope you enjoyed the trip anyway.
Enjoyed the week apart from the last day when we went on a boat from Ilfracombe around the bay. I was fine until we came back against the waves. Was very sick so boats are out in the future.

Batty

Enjoyed the week apart from the last day when we went on a boat from Ilfracombe around the bay. I was fine until we came back against the waves. Was very sick so boats are out in the future.Batty
That'll be the Lundy Island trip out then :D . My wife gets sea sick aswell, completely ruined a day trip to the Isles of Scilly a few years ago, and that was on a calm day