An odd fault.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I once worked for a contractor in Stourbridge who were called to a fault in a hairdressers. I wasn't involved myself. Customers were feeling minor shocks when having their hair washed but whenever sparks turned everything seemed to be fine.

It was sussed out by the supervisor eventually. The hairdresser's was on the first floor, there was some sort of fault in the next door property which shared a fountain head with the hairdressers , only when both properties emptied their sinks and the water mixed in the fountain head did the fault transfer to the hairdressers.

Unfortunately whoever owned next door refused to do anything and wouldn't allow anyone in. All they could do was write to the local electricity supplier with details that the fault could endanger next door.

I once worked for a contractor in Stourbridge who were called to a fault in a hairdressers. I wasn't involved myself. Customers were feeling minor shocks when having their hair washed but whenever sparks turned everything seemed to be fine.It was sussed out by the supervisor eventually. The hairdresser's was on the first floor, there was some sort of fault in the next door property which shared a fountain head with the hairdressers , only when both properties emptied their sinks and the water mixed in the fountain head did the fault transfer to the hairdressers.

Unfortunately whoever owned next door refused to do anything and wouldn't allow anyone in. All they could do was write to the local electricity supplier with details that the fault could endanger next door.
i take it the fault was never repaired or fixed then :_|

The Supervisor must have been related to Sherlock Holmes to have sussed that one out.. :p . Does sound like the Hairdressers had an issue with its Earthing or Main bonding though .

The Supervisor must have been related to Sherlock Holmes to have sussed that one out.. :p . Does sound like the Hairdressers had an issue with its Earthing or Main bonding though .
Its a while back now , but yes, he knew his stuff. Same guy featured in an earlier post by myself. He went out in one of the firm's vans, cut someone up on the way back to the office. Sits down at his desk ,phone rings, its the cut-up motorist saying one of your drivers had cut him up, really angry.

Supervisor says " Right he'll be sacked as soon as he gets in "

In the end the motorist was pleading for the "drivers" job and apologising for being cut up.

should have reported it to DNO - they would soon get it repaired when they have someone at the door wanting in to disconnect the supply because the wiring is dangerous

Its a while back now , but yes, he knew his stuff. Same guy featured in an earlier post by myself. He went out in one of the firm's vans, cut someone up on the way back to the office. Sits down at his desk ,phone rings, its the cut-up motorist saying one of your drivers had cut him up, really angry. Supervisor says " Right he'll be sacked as soon as he gets in "

In the end the motorist was pleading for the "drivers" job and apologising for being cut up.
Ha ! Ha ! I Like that one Evvo ! :^O :^O