Bungalow lighting rewire - how long

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Fox

Reaction score
Hello all,

Got to rewire the lighting circuit on a small 2 bed 1930's bungalow to remove the rubber insulated (well it was once) cable. The switches I checked appear to have conduit in the wall which the cables have been run through so hoping to be able to pull the new cables down that without any chasing. THe back boxes are all ok and not new back boxes will be required. THe only other problem is there are 6 wall lights in the hallway so not sure how the cables are run to these so may need chasing may not. I'm thinking a 2-3days what do you guys think? Loft access is good by the way just a bit of the usual loft junk up there!

i reckon one and a half days at most, possibly a good working day at it.

look at a "average" rewire thats in region of 5 days... divide it up.

Thanks for the reply, that sounds good then, I have quoted it for 2 days with a bit of leaway but then became a bit concerened it could take longer, still not quite got used to the quoting and working out how long jobs take yet!

My boys say 3 days on this, with loop in at the roses, not the switches.

Don & His Boys.

If it's just you then I recon on about 1 1/2 days, but if you can get some help then you should knock it off in a day..

How's the Main earth, PEB's & RCD protection??? and what type of overload protection is there??

If it's just you then I recon on about 1 1/2 days, but if you can get some help then you should knock it off in a day..How's the Main earth, PEB's & RCD protection??? and what type of overload protection is there??
THe main earth is not so good, the bonding is non existant as is the rcd protection, overload protection is rewirable fuses but fortunatly I'm also doing a c/u change at the property along with a few other bits and bobs to get the house up to scratch so no worries there.

Ultimately, timing on a job comes down to experience.

From the initial inspection, can you overcome all existing issues? Have you correctly assessed the job in hand?

Have you missed anything (quite often you have)?

Always allow your self some headroom, otherwise you end up doing a rush job and cutting corners to meet your quotation.

Because it's too late once you've started, to come back on to the customer for more.

The Boys

Ultimately, timing on a job comes down to experience.From the initial inspection, can you overcome all existing issues? Have you correctly assessed the job in hand?

Have you missed anything (quite often you have)?

Always allow your self some headroom, otherwise you end up doing a rush job and cutting corners to meet your quotation.

Because it's too late once you've started, to come back on to the customer for more.

The Boys
Very good points Mr Godfather, hence I'm checking on here, In total I've now allowed 4 days to complete the rewiring, change the c/u along with all the usual bonding etc upgrades and change a socket from single to double and move a lighswitch 4 foot so think I should be ok. As you said above timing comes from experience, which I'm still lacking in the domestic market having come from 15 years in industrial work but as I'm doing this part time as I build up a customer base I can live with being a day out and put it down to experience on a job like this and make sure I get it right next time

Very good points Mr Godfather, hence I'm checking on here, In total I've now allowed 4 days to complete the rewiring, change the c/u along with all the usual bonding etc upgrades and change a socket from single to double and move a lighswitch 4 foot so think I should be ok. As you said above timing comes from experience, which I'm still lacking in the domestic market having come from 15 years in industrial work but as I'm doing this part time as I build up a customer base I can live with being a day out and put it down to experience on a job like this and make sure I get it right next time
Experiance is the major key factor.

Most wiring jobs pre 1960's is very basic 1 socket per room etc etc.

Many of the old cut outs are rated at 60 or 80 amps.

remember they only had a tv and the lighting circuit in them days, they even had plug adapters to come off the lighting circuit, from which you could plug an electric iron directly in to your bedroom light.

You have to remember that the buiding regs (partP) will stipulate a minimum socket outlet requirement which should be followed if at all possible.

Kitchens that are small may never conform lol.

I always allow at least an extra days labour in any quote, and charge accordingly.

There is nothing worse than comming out of a job losing any profit.

Your timing sounds ok but explain to customer you hope not to damage decoration but sometimes it is unavoidable. Batty
Decoration not a problem as going to be replastered and decorated aftwerwards anyway.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Trouble with old conduits is they can be thin. Also, very tight bends and simply won't pull. I'd asssume you need to chase.

Decoration not a problem as going to be replastered and decorated aftwerwards anyway.Thanks for the replies guys.
All the better then. :)