Very hard to Figure

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaem

Reaction score
Ok So I have a very tricky one for you all and need some help on it.

Downstairs light has 2 gang 2 way switch

One red to L1 another to opposite L1

One black marked as switch line in L2 another black marked as switch line in opposite L2

Finally 1 black marked as switch in L3

Ok so on to the landing 1 gang 2 way switch

One red into Common

One red and one black marked switch both into L1

One red and one Black marked switch both into L2

So the 2 gang 2 way switch is and old one and is marked up with L1, L2, L3 rather than common ,L1, L2

Basically I want the upstairs a 2 gang 2 way instead on the 1 gang 2 way.

Cant get my head round this one.

I have belled out all switches and feed in but no feed into the upstairs.

All wired in singles.

Any ideas

It sounds like you have a standard 2 way switching arrangement..

If you think of it as 2 switches downstairs

You have (equivalent com, L1 & L2)

red into L1 (com)

black into L2 (L1)

black into L3 (L2)

Upstairs

red into com

black & red into L1

black & red into L2

The reds (into L1 & L2) in the upstairs switch will be the feed and switched live to the upstairs light

The red (com) & Blacks (L1 & L2) will be the strappers

I'm sure you can figure the rest out.

Hi Michaem,

you should find perm live at landing light switch (L2 terminal) you could then just link a new wire into the common terminal of the next gang when changing to a new 2 gang 2 way switch, meaning you would then only need a new single to be pulled down into switch feed and fed to new lights.

BTW just wondered why you were changing switch sounds like your adding extra lighting upstairs.

Bit more info might help.

Down stairs 2 gang 2 way switch works the hallway and upstairs landing.

Upstairs i only have a 1 gang 2 way so this switch works only the upstairs light.

What i want to do is wire the same 2 gang 2 way switch upstairs so that i can control the downstairs light from upstairs.

Just cant seem to get anywhere.

I could wire this up from scratch but looking at someone else work probably dating back from 1970s i cant figure it

If I understand correctly, you want a 2 gang switch upstairs for hall & landing (and the same downstairs)..

If this is the case then you will need an extra 3c&e strapper between the 2 switches.