Dangerous Commercial Electrical Installation

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jono Pashley

Reaction score
Tonight while i was out and about i came across a installation in a local bar where there is a break down in basic protection(or should i say it doesn't exist).

Live parts are exposed and is within easy reach of most people. This was observed in more than one location on the premises

Is there anything we can do about things such as this, as the landlord will most likely not want to know.

Tonight while i was out and about i came across a installation in a local bar where there is a break down in basic protection(or should i say it doesn't exist).Live parts are exposed and is within easy reach of most people. This was observed in more than one location on the premises

Is there anything we can do about things such as this, as the landlord will most likely not want to know.
If it is a brewery owned bar contact the brewery about what you have seen explaining concern with regards to the installation that if something happened to a member of the public, then one they would possibily be prosecuted by the HSE and also the bad publicity from the case would not do their image much good.

Report it to the HSE

http://www.hse.gov.uk/contact/index.htm

This can be done by phone , post or over the internet.

Trading standards will not be able to help in this instance, where the HSE could close down the business until repairs are carried out.

Remember you must speak to the bar manager first, the cables may be de energised or awaiting repairs.

One of my favourite sayings is " We are not the electric police" but I agree if you see stuff that is a danger to life you should do something. Often your warning will not be welcomed. So yes the H&S or the local council licensing dept.

I once informed the local networks of a broken cut-out with the lower blade of the 100a fuse carrier exposed in a children's toy cupboard. I plastered it with tape but they didn't know that, no urgency was paid to it and it was done some months later, I was told.

Jono , Tell the Staff /Manager you have just received a Shock from the particular items and see what their reply to that is !