Cost of NICEIC

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wozz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just looking into the cost of joining them. I am currently with another scheme provider so have some paperwork in place. Im after a total cost (extra books i may not have and so on) for DI and AC.

Many thanks

i was informed by someone they spent hundreds on reference books to join them? i have the basics but do they want to see more?

you will receive some books when you apply for membership free of charge.

For AC status you will require more like fire regulations emergency lighting reg etc etc.

Some of these publications are not cheap but a minimum requirement.

you will receive some books when you apply for membership free of charge.For AC status you will require more like fire regulations emergency lighting reg etc etc.

Some of these publications are not cheap but a minimum requirement.
but what if you dont do fire alarms/em lighting?

but what if you dont do fire alarms/em lighting?
Approved contractor gets to fill in all electrical forms of which fire alarms and emergency lighting are just a few.

I do know that in scotland there is no part p, which leaves contractors with no option but to go AC.

I am not sure how it works up there but down here to be AC you will almost certainly be involved in the design and construction of fire alarm systems and emergency lighting.

I do not think there is a restricted AC scheme, ie one that is only domestic for instance, but I may be wrong.

I am not sure how it works up there but down here to be AC you will almost certainly be involved in the design and construction of fire alarm systems and emergency lighting.

I do not think there is a restricted AC scheme, ie one that is only domestic for instance, but I may be wrong.
what about those electricians (like me) who gets someone else in to to fire alarms?

Nic eic want you to have bs5839 if you do domestic fire alarm,pt 6 and pt1 if you do comercial, and also bs5266 if you do emergency lighting their other requirements are

7671, on site guide, they give you a book on testing to 17th edition you will also need hsr25 guidance on electricity at work regs

cost for intial assesment

If you are doing fire alarms (& that includes domestic) then you'll need BS5836, don't know which parts though and I know it's not cheap!
BS 5836 Guide to CAMAC: organization of multi-crate systems: specifica - Also known as BS5836:1980

Do you mean BS 5839, Noz?

BS 5839-1 Fire detection and fire alarm systems for buildings. Also known as BS5839-1:2002

BS 5839-3 Fire detection and alarm systems for buildings. Also known as BS5839-3:1988

BS 5839-5 Fire detection and alarm systems for buildings. Also known as BS5839-5:1988

BS 5839-6 Fire detection and fire alarm systems for buildings. Also known as BS5839-6:2004

BS 5839-8 Fire detection and fire alarm systems for buildings. Also known as BS5839-8:1998

BS 5839-9 Fire detection and alarm systems for buildings. Also known as BS5839-9:2003

But there again, they just cover the Fire Alarm side.

so lets take it i have 7671, OSG, EWR, GN3.

What are my total cost for one year with the NIC with the books i havnt got (lets just say DI)...

Im fed up of fighting my corner for not being NIC and i cant see it getting any better. Today i got a call from a potential customer asking for a rewire of a hairdressers she asked if i was NICEIC, then informed me the council told her as it was a commercial property she could only use a NICEIC electrician. ????????????????????????

so lets take it i have 7671, OSG, EWR, GN3.What are my total cost for one year with the NIC with the books i havnt got (lets just say DI)...

Im fed up of fighting my corner for not being NIC and i cant see it getting any better. Today i got a call from a potential customer asking for a rewire of a hairdressers she asked if i was NICEIC, then informed me the council told her as it was a commercial property she could only use a NICEIC electrician. ????????????????????????
I am NICEIC and unfortunately this discrimination is far to widespread.

Unfortunately if they insist on NICEIC as a preference there is nothing anyone can do (even the nice lady at Elesca), to persuade them otherwise.

The costs of the required books will be the same whichever provider you go with.

So the total cost per year will be your enrolement plus the one off payments for the required books.

Some of the books are provided free on your first enrolement.

Councils were informed to drop such practices in a government circular, unfortunatly they still get away with what they want.

im going to ring the NIC for more info tomorrow, something i really didn't want to have to do this year.

I asked the customer for a copy of any documentation that states 'NIC only' and i will be ringing the council if i get time and question this, if they stick to their guns its then a one horse race, bye bye elecsa.

I'm a full scope NAPIT member and have been for a few years. The councils cannot disriminate against the scheme you are with because they are ALL government approved.

NAPIT would take the bull by the horns if this was reported back to them from one of their members and have previously successful won positive results from various councils on this theme.

Its each and to their own on which scheme is suitable for their business but for me NAPIT did (and does) what it says on the tin.

Ironically after the unfriendly responce and silly prices quoted during my initial enquiry to the NICEIC for Approved Contractor, I was soon offered a FREE jump of ship to them once I had joined NAPIT full scope.

I nearly fell through the floor when I was called by a local NICEIC DI to ask if I could carry out some PIR's for him because the NICEIC wanted another

The NICEIC will only allow you to use their official certificates if you are registered to use them. So if your only registered as a DI then you can not get NICEIC backing for any PIR's that you do.Unless you pay the extra