plasterboard fixings for lcd tv

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meady

Reaction score
Just got a little job lined up for a friend, he wants his 40" lcd mounted on the wall but the place he wants it is on a stud dividing wall. I have fitted many tv's on walls but they have always been solid walls and always used wall anchors. Could anyone suggest some good heavy duty fixings for me?

Thanks

i would suggest not to stick it on a stud wall, or at least find the wall studding and go direct into that.

or a peice of ply, trespa, etc just a bit smaller than the tv the you can fix it to the plasterboard and joists

simples:D

bob

toggles should be fine most pressure is downwards

have seen many a wall unit hung with these and most kitchen wall units loaded up weigh more than a tv

they would work but would you trust 1K's+ of equipment on 4 "toggles", unlike my weight distrabution idea you can get 9+ fixings in

bob

i have a 4ft radiator full of water on 4 toggles !!!!

i wouldnt be so worried about it falling off the wall......

how are the cables going to run ???? visible ??

if not how are you going to hide them ???

He is happy with the cables concealed in plastic conduit. There is going to be a unit below the tv and there will only be 4 inches of wall showing between the bottom of the tv and top of the cabinet. The only thing I need to do is put in a spur for the tv power cord. The wall bracket he has purchased has more than 4 fixing holes, think it was 6 or 8so the load will be spread over a larger area.

ive done this in the past and its worked for me

cut hole for a dual drylining box, two singles in one double box, one for single socket, one for ariel, before installation insert 2 lengths of timer into void through hole and secure to plasterboard, then secure bracket to the timbers through the plaserboard

no cables on show, solid fixing

I cut a square/oblong bit of 12mm mdf and fix that onto the wall, making sure I hit a stud with some of the screws, then fix the bracket onto that.

You can also cut a hole in the middle of the mdf/plasterboard behind and then cover up with a blank plate, just junior hacksaw a few slots in the bottom of the blank plate to allow screwback flush.

Mdf can be painted or wallpapered whatever first of course.

good idea about the use of mdf because he wants to put up a 42 inch TV a piece of mdf a bit smaller than that he will guarantee to hit the studs at 600 or 400 centres

I did a major refit in a bar that had multiple Tv's mounted all over the place.

All the walls where studded and I used the Fischer Spring Toggle.

The bar has been re opened for over 12 months and I have never had a call back as yet. So I guess they work.

Other than that you would have to drill and epoxy resin something like a frame bolt, good solid anchor if your of a nervous disposition.

I cut a square/oblong bit of 12mm mdf and fix that onto the wall, making sure I hit a stud with some of the screws, then fix the bracket onto that.You can also cut a hole in the middle of the mdf/plasterboard behind and then cover up with a blank plate, just junior hacksaw a few slots in the bottom of the blank plate to allow screwback flush.

Mdf can be painted or wallpapered whatever first of course.
ii do that all the time even on masonry walls to reduce the pressure on the fixings.

bob