shower tripping RCD

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Dane

not sure if i am over looking something with this one

Everything tests good, insulation resistance is good... every things fine with testing.

apart from it trips the RCD

Connections are all tight, wondering if the showers foobared?

any suggestions?

Does it trip immediatly, after a certain time or random?

if its after a certain time, it may be that shower element is faulty, but not switched on until shower is in use, which will give you a good IR. maybe take cover off and IR on the terminals to heater.

strange one really..

It didnt trip the first time it was used.

The second time it tripped, it was fine with isolator on, then tripped when shower came on

and now, it trips as soon as isolator is switched on.

first time was fine

second time the RCD tripped after about 2 minutes of use with the shower.

and now it just trips as soon isolator is "on" and shower switched off

but then the shower will run and no trip.

IR is >1K aswell

possibly an intermittent fault. water may be getting somewhere in the heater it shouldnt. and >1K isnt much for IR. it should be much higher. 1K is actually .23A at 230V! more than enough to trip a 100mA RCD

check that water is not getting into the shower when you are using it

possibly an intermittent fault. water may be getting somewhere in the heater it shouldnt. and >1K isnt much for IR. it should be much higher. 1K is actually .23A at 230V! more than enough to trip a 100mA RCD
meter shows >1000

check that water is not getting into the shower when you are using it
The shower is bone dry inside. i checked that strait away, ive checked everything really. im just wondering if any one can sugest anything else.

apart from replace the shower.

btw this is not my shower so trips to and from customer haha... twice and they wernt in when arranged!

>1000 what? if its IR, its most likely M, not K
yes sorry its >1000 M

i meant K as in 1000 ... late at night.. long days taking there tole, and a women laughin her head off reading a book! headbang

where did you measure this >1000M?
new to fault finding properly, normally get easy things lol. this is probably easy but me been daft

i have checked all runs of cable. CU to isolator, isolator to shower, then CU to shower with isolator in "on" position. L - N L - E N - E all >1000M

the RCD is fine, as i threw the shower onto the other side (dual RCD) and it tripped that one also.

///////or even a 30 mA RCD..............or probably a 300mA RCD for that matter. :D

Is this a replacement Shower ?

Have you checked the connections at the Isolator ?

shower has been there a while..

connections i have checked over twice.

off back there tonight after a long day on site so see what else i fine :)