PIR'S

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derek13

Reaction score
excuse my ignorance people have recently purchased a pir motion sensor outdoor light , the light i was replacing already had a switch so new light also works off a switch . am i right in thinking the light should also work when switch is off i.e when motion is detected ????? as this does not seem to be happening only working when switched on at the min

thankyou for any replies

the switch will still control the lighting circuit, think about the route the current is going to take from the supply to the light...

thanks for reply so the light needs to stay switched on in order for the pir to work even though it has the motion sensor ????

thanks again

thanks for reply so the light needs to stay switched on in order for the pir to work even though it has the motion sensor ????thanks again
im assuming this switch is inside the house? if so, then unless its turned on, then you light will have no power, so cannot possibly work

yeh it is mate and of course makes sense in other words it needs a permanent live to work unswitched ?? again thanks for help

yeh it is mate and of course makes sense in other words it needs a permanent live to work unswitched ?? again thanks for help
But you don't want to do that do you? Nice to turn it off when changing the bulb etc....

yeh exactly mate thing is got a small dog runs out last thing at nite cant see the little muppet ha ha so wanna put a pir in with motion sensor so it will pick dog up without me having to stand outside all the time watching over it but then again like u say problem changing bulbs etc

yes u need to keep the switch turned on inorder to get power to the light for the pir to work all the pir is, is a switch

If you want to see your dog and it doesnt pick him up, flick the switch on and off twice and it will stay on.

Some of them work on the amount of time the switch is turned off for.

Probably works on a capacitor.

To have the option of switching light on permanently you need 3 cores and earth or do it the way an idiot had done on a job I put right at the weekend and had used the cpc as the switched live. Or as others have said some lights have the option to overide by switching on off quickly.

Batty

Had one once batty where the light needed a permanent supply aswell as switched override. Old dear had gotten John Wayne Himself to do it I think. She rang to ask could i look at it as it never seemed to come on during the evening unless she flicked the switch but she thinks it comes on overnight. John had promised her faithfully that it was the fitting she had supplied. When i opened up fitting, it had 1mm T+E fron switch plus a seperate SINGLE 2.5mm BLACK connected to the light. Went into loft and followed said black single almost 5 Mtrs to a 30A JB. Which was feeding a couple of nightstores..

:(

how could anyone believe this was acceptable...............

headbang

Had one once batty where the light needed a permanent supply aswell as switched override. Old dear had gotten John Wayne Himself to do it I think. She rang to ask could i look at it as it never seemed to come on during the evening unless she flicked the switch but she thinks it comes on overnight. John had promised her faithfully that it was the fitting she had supplied. When i opened up fitting, it had 1mm T+E fron switch plus a seperate SINGLE 2.5mm BLACK connected to the light. Went into loft and followed said black single almost 5 Mtrs to a 30A JB. Which was feeding a couple of nightstores.. :(

how could anyone believe this was acceptable...............

headbang
I am not going to tell you again maccarooni!..... :|

If you keep going round putting my work right I will go and tell the Don to come and sort you out!X(X(X( X(

Admin! maccarooni keeps picking on my work.....

Tell him he's been naughty again....

its not fair:_| :_| :_| :_|

I am not going to tell you again maccarooni!..... :| If you keep going round putting my work right I will go and tell the Don to come and sort you out!X(X(X( X(

Morris! maccarooni keeps picking on my work.....

Tell him he's been naughty again....

its not fair:_| :_| :_| :_|
The main Administrator is now known as Morris

:D