cu update to 17th.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megaohm7

Reaction score
Good evening

A customer has requested some additional sockets in the lounge, however the c u is an old wylex type board with the push button type breakers . Because there needs to be additional cable chased in am I right in thinking that the board needs to be brought up to 17th ed ie rcd protection to cover the new works . I know that it will be notifiable of course maybe a good time to get assessed as I am not on the competent persons scheme as of yet but have had to turn down jobs in the past so I think it's time to get myself sorted out on a scheme .

Those Wylex push button MCBs need to be replaced at least. If you check you will see that their short circuit rating is quite low, can't remember what exactly, possibly M3 . Never heard of one failing but I think the lowest you find now are M6.

I agree an upgrade to the C.U and possibly Earthing & Bonding will be preferable.

If the customer wont play ball here then just install an RCD fused spur at the point where you extend from the existing circuit, you will still have to ensure Earthing & Bonding are up to scratch though !.....The plus side for doing it this way for you is that it wont be notifiable Would still advise organising yourself on the Competant Person Scheme route as soon as possible if you are a practicing spark on domestic properties...save you hassle in the future.

Still advize

Thanks for your replies they are very helpful. I will advise the customer accordingly to the safety benefits of rcd protection in particular . If customer does agree to a cu change and wants it done sooner rather than later then I have a registered domestic installer who will cover the cu change and testing and certs but for now I will be looking into going down the registered person scheme route myself. ohms

I have been told that the NIC assessor will want to see the EDF certificate to show that the main head fuse was taken out by EDF and not your self for safe isolation. This is why I would not do a CU change for the assessment

I have been told that the NIC assessor will want to see the EDF certificate to show that the main head fuse was taken out by EDF and not your self for safe isolation. This is why I would not do a CU change for the assessment
Get registred with another provider that just rubbish.

Batty

Never heard of that one before Matt....seems a bit harsh. Maybe it would be wise to choose a job with an existing DNO Isolator .just to be on the safe side then .

what if you didnt get one?

round here DNO use Wylex REC2 isolators. install one yourself and no-one will ever know...

and by your logic, using a re-wire is a no go area too, unless you leave the old board in....

Good evening all,

Did my NIC assessment partly on a CU change and the subject of who took the fuse out was never even mentioned.

Have not come across many isolators in this neck of the woods. ( Eastbourne)

David

i have a mate who belongs to the NIC and that his mate failed cos he had no evidence that edf came out to remove the head service fuse...

I have a double pole isolator switch fitted between the meter and cu at my property fitted by eon on behalf of southern electric and the guy fitting it said that they are being requested more so these days and they can be locked off for safe isolation during a board change without breaking any seals and the cost of fitting the switches is fairly low and in some cases free depends on your supplier . so an isolator switch that can be locked off for safe isolation has to satisfy most assessors when you have done a cu change . I need a drink now !! Guiness Drink

I have a double pole isolator switch fitted between the meter and cu at my property fitted by eon on behalf of southern electric and the guy fitting it said that they are being requested more so these days and they can be locked off for safe isolation during a board change without breaking any seals and the cost of fitting the switches is fairly low and in some cases free depends on your supplier . so an isolator switch that can be locked off for safe isolation has to satisfy most assessors when you have done a cu change . I need a drink now !! Guiness Drink
Try getting EDF out not so easy.

I did my own CU for my initial assessment .. snipped the meter seals, changed the tails and informed EDF post job ... chap came out a few weeks later to seal, glanced at the cert and sealed it again, no problem no cost .. ... my elecsa assessor had no problems with this .. agreed with me that there was no realistic other way around a cu change nowadays ..

Not sure i'd even bother letting them know now, just reseal it myself ..

I'm planning to do my CU for my assesment sometime fairly soon, has anyone actually had a problem personally with the assessor asking about the fuse??

To be fair you can not assess the fuse characteristics by looking at the fuse holder.

You are not allowed to cut the seals so there is no other way to define the cutout.

No assessor would ever mark you down for not putting the exact fuse rating down on the certs, however important to the installation this is.

Most of the older types were predominately 60 or 80 amp and not the usual 100 amp found nowadays.

He would however expect you to know the type which is found on the side of the carrier.If not the actual fuse rating.

Getting a bit confused over this issue. Admittedly, in my 'unofficial' days i've snipped a few seals but on all the weeks of my recent courses the tutors have emphasised that you NEVER cut the seals or remove the fuse. What's the general opinion on here? I'm doing my CU change for my assessment (and because it's in sh*t order) in the near future and don't really want a red card before i've even begun to play. Not sure on the situation regarding isolators in YEDL area but I may check on that.